The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

La Voz ad
Students walk out for Gaza
District reallocates $20 million from De Anza Events Center to Foothill Dental Hygiene Clinic

May 10, 2024

Health clinic Q&A opens up communication

April 28, 2024

New $20 minimum wage for fast food workers

April 27, 2024

View All
Floods in southern Brazil have destroyed more than 400 cities
Park-It Market keeps relieving students’ grocery needs

May 17, 2024

What to keep in mind when visiting Spain

May 15, 2024

Photo Essay: Hidden Oasis

Photo Essay: Hidden Oasis

May 10, 2024

View All
Campus police do not need tasers
Campus police already carry guns, but tasers should be their first option

May 22, 2024

Encampments at Columbia University endanger Jewish students

May 16, 2024

Solidarity with the student intifada

Solidarity with the student intifada

May 16, 2024

View All
The Laser Floyd show at the Fujitsu Planetarium
‘Challengers’ format overshadowed by the large amount of explicit content

May 5, 2024

‘Spy x Family: Code White’ is a sweet, charming subplot

April 30, 2024

‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage

April 15, 2024

View All

DASG’s marketing meeting rundown

Intern assignments, spreading awareness on the upcoming elections, and comfort shows
Nayeli Garcia
DASG’s marketing meeting on Thursday Feb. 29 in the DASG lounge.

De Anza Student Government held their marketing meeting at the DASB lounge in the lower level of the Hinson Center on Thursday, Feb. 29, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Led by the current Chair of Marketing and previous general senator, Katelyn Khieu. The meeting covered several important topics regarding the current DASG elections and plans for next quarter.

Khieu, 20, is a cognitive science major who first heard about DASG on her first day on campus when a couple of students introduced her to student government.

“When you first think of student government, you think of something in high school, which is a glorified party planner,” Khieu said.“I didn’t realize how much (the) student government actually did. But once I got to know a little bit more I was like ‘oh, this could be fun,’.”

The meeting officially commenced at 2:04 p.m. with attendance of all interns present, which swiftly transitioned into a segment called: public comments.

The first public comment concerned the intern’s current assignment. They were to give a brief presentation on the upcoming (current) DASG elections in each of their classes in hopes of gaining higher attraction from students. However, they’re excluded from participating if they are running for a current position.

Following the intern assignments, advisor Dayna Swanson expressed concerns over the new health clinic which will be built directly over the area where De Anza’s Flea Markets take place. This is an issue since a huge portion of DASG’s budget comes directly from the flea markets, a budget that sponsors and funds over a hundred on-campus programs and clubs.

A meeting to discuss further details on this matter will take place on Tuesday, March 12, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. or 4-5 p.m., and Friday, March 15, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. or 1:30-2:30 p.m. at Foothill College. Swanson highly encourages students to participate in this forum.

“Our students have a very huge role in being able to create the college and make recommendations and to stay informed of what’s going on on campus,” Swanson said.

Following public comments, Khieu steered the meeting towards their first business item which happened to be a lighthearted, but urgent, matter. Every person went around the room discussing their week so far, and their favorite comfort show or movie – “Gilmore Girls” is quite the crowd favorite.

A common theme observed from the marketing meeting was the connotation that people on campus are not aware of DASG and their roles. The following subjects discussed concerned spreading awareness of the student government on campus, such as:

• Publicizing more flyers
  • Purchasing two additional A-frames to further promote DASG matters
  • Posting more content on social media, especially TikTok

They also discussed ideas for a new flea market logo redesign which interns were open to submitting to their advisors for approval. Each design will get a chance to be showcased as they hope to swap the designs around during each season to keep things fresh.

At 2:33 p.m. an overview of their content calendar commenced, followed by an extensive explanation of the requirements for interns interested in running for general senate positions.

It was around this time that Khieu also expressed how badly they needed a social media officer and highly encouraged the interns to think about running for this position.

Conveniently, this discussion of running for certain positions opened up a space for interns campaigning themselves for the next Chair of Marketing at 2:40 p.m.

Campaigning took off with interns Victor Pham, Javin Ku, and Veronica Hon. Joseph Maggard, ballot #1, who also campaigned for himself as he is running for the position of President of DASG for the 2024-2025 term.

Election results will be posted on March 21.

It was at 2:48 p.m. that a brief discussion of potentially changing the marketing meeting date and time took place in hopes of making it more accessible for other students joining future meetings, however, nothing was confirmed and this was penciled in for a future discussion.