Match ends with a couple of goose eggs1 min read

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lady Dons of the women’s soccer team play hard defense as they try to stop the West Valley forward from advancing into their territory Tuesday, Nov. 5.

Jay Serrano

Jay Serrano

Jay Serrano

Lance Petit, Staff Writer

De Anza College women’s soccer team played to a scoreless tie against West Valley College on Tuesday Nov. 5

The first half started with an aggressive offensive game plan by West Valley, pressuring the Dons defense for the majority of the first half.

The Dons managed to turn in some good offensive runs and close shots on goal, but weren’t able to capitalize before halftime.

As the teams headed for their benches, an assistant was proud of De Anza’s first half performance

“They look great out there, definitely better than last time they played West Valley. I hope they keep up the stellar defense,” said Boubacar Diallo, computer science major.

When play resumed in the second half, it was more of the same. De Anza’s defense continued to remain strong and play as a team.

No matter how much pressure West Valley’s offense produced, De Anza had an answer.

Freshmen goalie Alexia Flippen was active blocking shots and clearing balls out of the Dons’ territory.

In the last 15 minutes of the game, penalties were frequent, as both sides fought for chances at the goal and preferable positioning.

Spectators for both teams were vocal about penalties called, or lack thereof.

In the final minutes, it was all about De Anza’s teamwork and strong, relentless defense that lead them to a 0-0 tie against a formidable opponent who beat them 3-0 in their last meeting.

“Our team played very well; we executed our strategy and got what we deserved,” said coach Andrew Ransome. “West Valley beat us last time but we played hard out there.”