Winning On And Off The Field

Winning on and off the field

Angelena Mexicano

Angelena Mexicano

Bambi Nguyen, Staff Writer

Angelena Mexicano has developed her passion for softball on and off the field through playing and teaching.
“You gotta love it,” said Mexicano, who frequently motivates her team with this message.
Softball has been Mexicano’s passion since age 9, when she started playing because of the influence of her dad and grandpa.
Mexicano continued to strive in her high school career as four-time team MVP and two-time athlete of the year at Mt. Pleasant High School in San Jose. She attended the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, part of the renowned Division 1 athletic collegiate conference.
Mexicano had an impressive softball career throughout college, becoming the university’s first tri-captain and breaking countless records, amongst innumerable awards and honors.
“It was my proudest achievement in softball,”
she said.
After college, she continued her passion by coaching at the University of Mary in North Dakota for four years.
However, she soon returned  to her hometown of San Jose.
“At that point in my life, I felt it was time to go back to my family,” Mexicano said.
As the new head coach of De Anza softball team, she focuses on the importance of being united as a team and as a family. She plans for the team to bond outside of practice.
“Not only is it important to be a team on the field, but friends off the field,” she said.
This goal is being fulfilled, as the team is already a family, supporting one another through the games and through their lives.
“Coach Mexicano is one of the most inspirational and motivational coaches I’ve ever had,” said Amber Smith, 18, right fielder on the De Anza team. “I’ve struggled with my self-confidence for a while, but this year, something has changed for me and I know that change was my coach. She has been the greatest helping hand on the field for me and really showed me what it takes to be a leader.”
The world of competitive sports is often stressful and demanding, but Mexicano makes sure her team members are always learning and having fun. She wants the team to have a good time so the players can look back on their college softball experiences happily.
Coach Mexicano said 2015 is a growing year for both the team and herself. Her expectations are for the women to compete  “to the highest level” and leave with a good feeling about their performance.
“We can only go up,” she said, “and move forward together to new opportunities.”