DASB Presidental Election Candidates: Dylan Kim

Anas Mustafa, Staff Reporter

The platform of Dylan Kim, 21, business major, is based on the issues of improving De Anza’s dining services and signing up for classes.

Kim said being a student makes it a tough to afford meals at the De Anza Campus Center cafeteria. Many students work two jobs, attend school full time, pay college expenses and other fees. He said the meals are overpriced for the portion sizes and quality.

“The DASB Senate has a budget of $1.3 million,” Kim said. “We can use that budget to subsidize the meals and to make meals cheaper because the amount of food being served isn’t sufficient,” Kim said. Kim said students shouldn’t worry about spending a lot of money for meals on campus.

“Every time I see a student eating a cup of ramen for lunch or chips and an energy drink, it breaks my heart,” Kim said. Kim said he also wants to offer more variety of food since the options in the cafeteria are limited.

Kim said registering for classes is always a hassle because there are a lot of students with the same required classes, making the process competitive.

“I tried to register for chemistry class three quarters in a row but failed to do so, simply because there was no space in the classroom,” Kim said. He said if he is elected president, he’s going to work on adding additional tables and chairs into classrooms, allowing students to register for required classes.

Kim said he has a close connection to De Anza College, and is proud to attend De Anza College.

“There are great people here. I made many great and close friendships here, and I just want to improve [them],” Kim said.

Kim said he hopes to help students as much as possible.