Electric bicycles added to De Anza’s growing free bike rental program

Ruben Mendoza, Staff Writer

Electric bicycles will help De Anza College students who suffer from asthma and physical disabilities to use the college’s free bike rental program.

The DASB Bicycle Program, created several years ago and unique to De Anza, offers a healthy and environmentally-friendly option for students commuting to school.

Electric bikes will be available next quarter after finalizing new contracts, insurance and lawyer consultations.

Eddie Cisneros, the former program coordinator who oversaw the start of the program, said its purpose is to promote environmental sustainability.

Bikes help limit carbon dioxide emissions, lower traffic and are made of fewer resources than cars, he said.

Students may ride their rented bicycle wherever they wish, but are responsible if it is lost, stolen or damaged.

“We are setting an example for many other college campuses around the nation to follow,” Cisneros said.

Even though demand for the program has surpassed the number of bikes available, many students are still unaware of the program.

“I never knew the bike program existed,” said A.J. Luft, engineering major, who usually drives or carpools to school.

The program is beginning to adapt to the needs of more students and aims to be accessible to all who are interested.

“Students who suffer from severe asthma and physical disabilities will be provided with non-conventional bikes,” Cisneros said.

Anahita Biglari, student employee at the Office of College Life, described the process of signing up as a contract.

“The bike coordinator will view the contract and approve eligibility,” she said.

The program is free for De Anza students who are at least 18 years old, have a DASB card, are enrolled in six or more units and have paid all fees or are on a payment plan.