Dons blow out Rams 4-0

Men’s soccer back on winning track

Aitalina Indeeva, Staff Writer

After suffering its first loss of the season to West Valley College, the De Anza College men’s soccer team bounced back for a 4-0 victory against the Rams of Gavilan College on Friday Oct. 24.

“The game wasn’t the best for us. We didn’t really solve some of the problems this team presented earlier,” said head coach Rusty Johnson. “As the game went on I think they ran out of energy. So, it was an OK game for us.”

The first half of the game was full of scoring chances, but both goalkeepers used their experience to defend the goals. Finally, in the 41st minute Dons’ freshman forward Juan Bugarin scored the first goal and the first half finished with the score 1-0.

The second half started at a rapid pace. The Rams tried to pressure, but freshman goalkeeper Arshia Aghababazadeh kept them off the board and had three saves in the game. In the 55th minute sophomore forward Rajaee Delane served the ball to freshman midfielder Josue Mendoza, who quickly scored the second goal of the game.

The Dons continued to dominate the field and the third goal came in the 83rd minute from sophomore forward Ranier Plantinos. Just two minutes later he scored again and extended the team’s lead to 4-0.

“We had a lot of opportunities and we didn’t finish them away, but we got our motivation back in the second half and we just finished our chances,” Bugarin said.

Plantinos, who scored two goals, complimented Gavilan’s performance.

“I don’t know about their season, but they played very well,” Plantinos said. “We were not doing well in the first half and in the second half we found out our rhythm.”

Summing up the game, Johnson said freshman forward Connor Kurze, as well as freshman forward Roy Ortiz, did a lot for the team.

“Really, it was some other guys that don’t play a lot for us, but they stepped out and did a great job here,” Johnson said. “Our best players in midfield and in [the] front line are strong, so we can cycle them in and out as much as we want and they still get the
job done.”