New Career Development Coordinator

Pati Shojaee, Staff Reporter

De Anza College recently hired Ashley Phillips to be the new Career Development Coordinator in the Workforce Education Department.

Phillips’ job as is to assist Career Technology Education students in finding internships or jobs. For example, Phillips will help with resume writing, interview preparation and aid students in finding interviews.

CTE consists of programs such as Administration of Justice, Automotive Technology, Business/Accounting, Film/Television, Child Development, Health Technologies, Journalism, Manufacturing and CNC Technology, Nursing and Paralegal Studies.

Phillips said her main goal is to increase the number of employed students in the CTE programs.

“Over the upcoming months, Phillips will be closely working with our CTE programs to help build connections between local employers and qualified students and recent graduates,” said Margaret Bdzil, workforce education coordinator at De Anza.

The services provided by the position are limited to those students enrolled in De Anza CTE programs who are preparing to enter the workforce.

“In order to most effectively serve De Anza CTE students, Phillps will be working with CTE department chairs/coordinators and providing individual services based on their referrals,” Bdzil said.

Phillips attended Sacramento State University where she received a bachelor of arts degree in sociology.  She is currently completing a masters degree in public administration at California State University East Bay.

Phillips worked for over 10 years at career centers in Sacramento and Hayward in work force development. She also worked for the State of California and local nonprofit companies in helping job seekers find employment.

Bdzil said she hopes Phillips will serve as a model for enhanced career services delivery for the general De Anza student body.