Make your voice heard: Vote

Jay Serrano, Managing Editor

California is holding its primary election this Tuesday, June 3. If current trends hold true, turnout will be abysmally low, especially among younger voters such as the ones who populate this campus.

The common rallying cry of the American populace come voting season is, I’m not going to bother voting because my vote won’t make a difference.

The cry of the younger 18 to 24-year olds is my vote is insignificant because we’re all powerless compared to the corporations.

This is some of the worst logic I have ever heard.

Voting is the single strongest way to get your voice heard by the government. To quote New York Times columnist Charles Blow “a vote is the great equalizer, but only when it is cast.”

The beauty of democracy is your vote counts just as much as the vote of the millionaire. They try to act like their vote is more important because the scary truth, for them, is if the public organized and went to the polls every election the millionaires would be rendered powerless.

Despite the fact our system places this extraordinary power in the hands of the people, only about 41 percent of young people voted in the last election.

If voter turn out were a grade on a school test, our generation has failed. Miserably.

One reason turn out is so low is people only are highly motivated to vote on historic issues. This mindset leaves important but simple issues overlooked.

None of the ballot initiatives this Tuesday are aiming for lofty goals like getting money out of politics, but you should still go vote because the outcomes will still have a significant effect on people’s lives.

State measure 41 could increase funding for Veteran’s housing and job training. State measure 42 increases citizen access to government meeting records, increasing government transparency.

Failing to vote tells politicians and special interests that they can go ahead and do whatever they want because the public is too disinterested to notice.

So instead of moping around your house on election days go out and make a difference. Take a stand. Vote.

If you didn’t register in time for this election, go out and register today so you can vote in November.

If you are registered to vote, make sure you go out and get your voice heard this Tuesday.