Student Rights and Equity Committee plans to update the expenses stated in the I-20 form

The I-20 form is understated, school costs international students more than form says
Andreina Carnero Ramirez
The DASG Student Rights and Equity Committee discusses international student finances in the DASG lounge meeting room on March 13.

The De Anza Student Government Student Rights and Equity Committee discussed international student finances during its meeting at the DASB lounge meeting room in the lower level of the Hinson Center on March 13 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The SRE meeting was led by Hannah Rabbani, 19, DASG chair of student rights and equity and economics major, who explained the issue regarding international student finances and their I-20 form.

An I-20 form is an immigration document issued by a school in the U.S. It includes information about the school and student, including the dates the program will start and also the expenses of students’ education in the U.S.

“International students to come to the U.S. at any university need to get an I-20 document from their college or university. On that, you have a list of expenses you must do in the upcoming year as an international student, but the issue is that the finances are very understated. Many international students come to the U.S. thinking they would spend $30,000 in total, but $30,000 does not even cover my expenses for a year,” Rabbani said.

Rabbani talked to her international immigration adviser, Alisson Largent, and the International Student Programs about this situation. They said that this is an issue that needs to be addressed because many students are being reported, having to go undocumented if they stay in the country or they just have students who are unable to pay because they thought they would have to pay much less.

Rabbani said one idea to address this issue is creating a survey for ISP to send to international students, which requires the approval of Nazy Galoyan, dean of enrollment services. Once she approves it, the SRE committee can work with the administration committee on the survey which will include how it is internal students’ financial situation.

Isaac Tsang, 19, an international student and computer science major provides his point of view on the international student’s finances issue.

Tsang said the total expenses stated on the I-20 form are less than the actual cost. He has heard some international students are facing this issue and are unable to afford it.

Next quarter, Tsang’s tuition will be around $6,000. For 9 months, or 3 quarters, it will be about $18,000 without including living expenses.

The I-20 forms state the total expenses in a range between $26,000 and $30,000 for 9 months which includes tuition and fees, living expenses, health insurance, books and supplies. International students are not required to enroll in classes during the summer quarter.

Bryan Hernandez Cruz, 18, mechanical engineering major and student intern at the Office of Equity shared his thoughts about this matter for foreign students.

“I realized and recognized that international students are facing tremendous high amounts of expenses. These expenses limit an individual or students who successfully thrive at De Anza,” Hernadez Cruz said.

Tsang said updating the I-20 form will be helpful since students will be able to plan and make an informed decision.