DASB Student Trustee: Elias Kamal

Nick Girard, Staff Reporter

Current student trustee Elias Sayed Kamal, 19, political science major, is the only candidate running for student trustee for the 2017-18 year.

Kamal said the role of student trustee is to work with the Senate as well as collaborate with the administration and the board. “While students work on these values on the more student activist level, I’m hoping to add in a more institutional approach,” he said.

Kamal said it’s been difficult being the only person in the position. “Sometimes you  don’t really know what your place is, or what your role is, but you really have to figure that out on your own.”

Kamal said he grew up hoping to meet the standards of his father, who was involved in international relations. “I grew up looking up to this person who wasn’t in my life,” he said. “Coming to De Anza, I’ve been fortunate enough to have that role and help a community in need.”

Kamal said he wanted to continue the work he’s started as student trustee this term, including ensuring De Anza has a student government that’s representative of all people.

“We’ve definitely had a lot of trouble with that this year,” he said. “I look forward to working with the new DASB president on actually making sure that happens in the coming term.”

The amount of work the senate has been able to accomplish, despite conflicts, is inspiring, Kamal said. “It’s shown me the power that this position has and I’ve been very fortunate to have it.”

Kamal said the senate needs reform coming into the next term. “DASB has had a lot of conflict this year in terms of having an agenda that’s equitable, and also in terms of making sure senators are accountable in doing their job,” he said.

He said the reform would include more outreach to students, staying away from bureaucratic or political jargon and avoiding interpersonal conflict.

“It would include a lot more one [on] one conversations with programs on campus,” Kamal said. “In order to better understand their needs, their funding, and to help ensure that they’re more successful going forward.”

Kamal said he wants to continue to ensure that all students, particularly the most marginalized and oppressed, continue to be represented and served.

Kamal said in addition to reforms within student government, he wanted to continue pushing his intercampus transportation project he started this year, as well as look into mental health and counseling services on campus.

Kamal is on DASB presidential candidate Cialysiah Washington’s coalition called “RISE,” which has the core goals of representation, inclusion, sustainability and equity. Washington said the coalition emphasizes being a team and friends first in order to have an effective senate.