De Anza for Bernie Sanders organization hosts Democratic watch party

Talia Alvarez, Staff Writer

De Anza for Bernie Sanders organized a debate-watching party  in the Hinson Campus Center on Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 13.

CNN broadcast the first Democratic debate live from Las Vegas. De Anza for Bernie Sanders is a student organization supporting candidate Sanders’ campaign. Students cheered as host Anderson Cooper began the debate.

Joining the students were special guests, Assemblyman and De Anza alumni Evan Low, and Madison Nguyen, San Jose city council member, candidate for California State Assembly.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton leads the polls as democratic candidate for president in the November 2016 election.

Clinton debated against Vermont Sen. Sanders, former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, and Lincoln Chafee, former Republican member of the U.S. Senate and a former governor of Rhode Island.

When Sanders was asked, if “black lives matter, or do all lives matter?” his response was short: “Black lives matter,” he said.

Debate watchers cheered, and they waved their hands after hearing Sanders’ response.

When Clinton was asked about her email controversy and if she’d like to explain, Clinton said no.

“America is tired of hearing about your damn emails,” said Sanders, “Enough of the emails. Let’s talk about the real issues facing America.”

Students watching could not hold back laughter nor cheers, as the focus of the debate transitioned to Sanders and Clinton.

According to CNN, over 15.3 million people tuned into watch the debate. Topics ranged from climate change, women’s reproductive rights, immigration reform, to gun control were all brought up in the three-hour debate.

“[The turnout] was absolutely amazing,” said Pedro Pedro Enriquez Alberto, 23, De Anza for Bernie Sanders Lead organizer said. “We pretty much had a packed house. People were very respectful, people were having a lot of fun.

“We got a lot of support, you can feel energy of the people. Something resonated within the resegnate through the whole room. And that’s real special.”

The De Anza for Bernie Sanders will be hosting future debate watching events, advertising that anyone is welcomed, and is a safe place for all.