Dancing with De Anza

Class teaches ballroom, cha-cha, waltz

Charlie Dang, Staff Writer

Photo Credit: Bob Shomler
Dancers in San Jose-based dance group sjDANCEco perform “Tango Fatale,” directed by De Anza College instructor Maria Basile in San Francisco on March 13, 2014.

If you have ever wanted to know the difference between a cha-cha and a waltz, a promenade and a counter promenade or just the difference between your left foot and your right foot, then you should sign up for professor Maria Basile’s Social Dance class at De Anza College.

I recently attended her Social Dance class in the Visual and Performing Arts Center. Students were already warming up and practicing the cha-cha routine 15 minutes before class started.

Basile took roll and briefly chatted with each attendee, about 30 students of different skill levels.
“We can always use a few more men with good leading skills,” Basile said.

Traditionally in ballroom, the gentlemen lead and the ladies gracefully follow. In Basile’s class, she encourages everyone to learn both roles in order to be better dancers.

Tonight, the dance is waltz. Basile turned on the music and separated the leaders and followers. She had each group follow her movements and techniques.

Then students got back together, forming dance couples and greeted their practicing partners.

This was repeated several times until the entire routine was covered. Three hours went by quickly, and everyone seemed to still be energized. Finally, with all the steps and techniques covered, the music restarted and they waltzed to the music under the spotlights.

“I would love to expand this to two nights a week and add a specialized class such as swing. That would be amazing,” Basile said.

Basile has been dancing most of her life and has been a prominent teacher of ballroom, modern and Latin style dancing since 1996. Her career highlights include being a charter member of the Limón West Dance Project of San Jose, and member of The Limón Dance Company critically acclaimed 50th Anniversary World Tour.

Before dance, she was on the U.S. Team competing in the XXIII Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships in Varna, Bulgaria.
Currently she is the co-artistic director of San Jose Dance Company, a contemporary dance company that brings world premieres by resident and guest choreographers.

The company was invited to perform at the 2015 International Arts Festival in Taipei, Taiwan in August. The group has received several grants to partially pay for expenses and is diligently fundraising to come up with the rest of the necessary funds.

She teaches every Tuesday night from 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. Her class will be performing at the VPAC as part of the dance department quarterly showcase June 16 at 7 p.m.