TELEVISION REVIEW: How to Get Away with Murder

Cindy Tran, Staff Writer

Entrenched with mind blowing plot twists and cliff hangers, the new series, “How to Get Away with Murder” has proven to be the must-see television thriller of this fall.

Produced by Shonda Rhimes, who is well known for her popular medical drama series “Grey’s Anatomy” and political thriller “Scandal.” Her latest show titled “How to Get Away With Murder” is a serial legal drama series that is centered around a group of law students and their professor, who all face the dark paths in their life.

Played by Oscar nominated actress, Viola Davis, Annalise Keating is a professional defense lawyer and also a professor at Philadelphia’s most prestigious college. Her harsh tactics in teaching her class create a different approach than most professors as she chooses to allow her students to go through the process of being a lawyer in the court, how to defend the client and ultimately, how to get away with murder.

In the first episode, Professor Keating sets the bar high for her students, stating she will allow only four students to work with her in her law firm.

Willing to do anything to win Professor Keating’s admiration, Connor Walsh, played by Jack Falahee, is an openly gay law student who is clever, cunning and determined to win anything he desires, whether the deed is obtained legally or illegally.

Asher Millstone, played by Matt McGorry, who is known for his role in Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black,” plays a law student whose privileged background is filled with country club memberships and connections.

Third called to work in Keating’s law firm is Michaela Pratt, played by Naomi King, a determined and ambitious young woman who has done everything to perfect her career in hopes to succeed even further later on in her future. As the show progresses, tension between her and Connor Walsh intensifies as the two see each other as harsh competitors rather than friends.

Fourth to be called is Laurel Castillo, played by Karla Souza, a quiet law student who allows many of her classmates to underestimate her abilities.

Although Professor Keating stated only four students will be chosen, she decides to add another, Wes Gibbins, a former waitlisted student, played by Alfred Enoch.

The beginning of the show takes place in the present, in which a group of four students (Conner Walsh, Michaela Pratt, Laurell Castillo and Wes Gibbins) have been tangled in a murder that may ruin their careers forever. Their attempt in evading the murder and destroying all evidence is based off of what they have learned in Professor Keating’s class. As the show rewinds to seven months earlier, viewers will see how things came to be and what has taken place. As the show progresses and secrets begin to unravel, the students and their professors have to face their dark sides and the mind-blowing events that will take place that will challenge them or
destroy them.

“How to Get Away With Murder” makes us reevaluate our lives as the characters reevaluate theirs. Its invigorating plot keeps viewers addicted and wanting more as each episode ends with overwhelming plot twists and jaw dropping cliff hangers. The show presents all character’s stories, allowing viewers to either sympathize or despise as the character’s true colors
are revealed.

The show airs weekly on Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.