The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

La Voz ad
Health clinic Q&A opens up communication
New $20 minimum wage for fast food workers

April 27, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

Katrina Bui
An illustration of a person using the Apple Vision Pro headset to view simulated virtual reality experiences.

The Apple Vision Pro came out on Feb. 2 in the United States and starts at $3,499.

This virtual reality headset is “Apple’s first spatial computer. It seamlessly blends digital content with your physical space using revolutionary technology,” Apple wrote on their website.

The Vision Pro is a mixed-reality headset marketed as a “spatial computer.” The headset is the first new major product since the release of the Apple watch in 2015 with a new operating system named Vision OS.

When you start the Vision Pro, you see all the surroundings, which Apple refers to as the “homeview.”

“You can use the tab bar to see your apps, connect with others, and choose an Environment,” Apple said in its Apple Vision Pro guide.

To open the task bar, you have to press the ”digital crown, which serves to adjust volume or immersion in a portal or environment,” the Apple developer said.

An environment in the Vision Pro is a panoramic view of simulated locations. Users can see Yosemite, Mount Hood or the Moon, but they are not just static, they are moving and in action.

When you are in an environment, you cannot see the surroundings. A useful feature that the product has is that when moving in the real world, the environment will gradually fade to show what’s actually in front of you so you can avoid bumping into objects.

When you get these movements right, you know how to use all the features on the Vision Pro and you can start to explore it.

When you remove the Vision Pro, you have the feeling that all the things are less practical and you are searching for all the screens around you. It’s a very weird feeling.

If you want to learn more on how to use the Vision Pro, you can visit Apple Vision Pro guide.

For $3,499, the Vision Pro comes with an external battery ($199), a USB-C charger, an enclosure, audio straps, different types and sizes of “Light Seal” ($199), “Solo Knit Band” ($99) and a cover to protect the front screen.

Right now, there are over one million compatible apps and over 1,000 made specifically for the Vision Pro.

The most interesting ones are the experiences labeled “Only on Vision Pro,” available on Apple TV. On this section, you can find “all Apple Immersive Video titles as well as top 3D movies” Apple said on its Vision Pro guide.

For the immersive video, you can watch a private concert of Alicia Keys, see dinosaurs moving around or watch extreme athletes doing slacklining.

Apple TV is not the only streaming platform available; Disney+, Prime Video, Peacock, Pluto TV, Crunchyroll and ESPN+ can also be used.

The only social media available as a native app on the Vision Pro is Tiktok,. X, Instagram and YouTube you must go through Safari or install “Dusk”, an alternative X client created by an independent developer.

The principal good aspect of the Vision Pro is its novelty. You can now watch a movie like in an IMAX theater while laying on your bed. The immersive experiences are also incredible to watch and I think that the film industry will definitely change due to it.

We don’t know yet how this technology will change in the future, but we can imagine that it can also be used in the gaming industry as virtual reality games have become more advanced, in communication or even for working, such as Zoom meetings with coworkers as animated avatars in a virtual room.

The high price of the Vision Pro is its biggest drawback. The price of Apple products has never stopped increasing, and with the Vision Pro, this trend continues.

There are also minor issues, sometimes it’s hard to grab the window with the finger, and there are small bugs on the segmentation of the hands.

Another bad aspect is your avatar on the Vision Pro. If you want to Facetime someone with the Vision Pro you can; the Vision Pro will capture your face and expressions in real-time to create an animated avatar. This avatar is also used to project your gaze on the front screen of the Vision Pro so that people have the feeling of seeing you.

The principal difference between the Vision Pro and the other virtual reality headset is that Apple creates an immersive and spatial experience using augmented reality instead of virtual reality.

Thanks to the two high resolution cameras, you can see the surroundings around you. It may seem mundane but it’s an all new link made between reality and technology.

The simplicity of scrolling down to see new content on TikTok It’s what’s made it popular, and in the Vision Pro, it’s even crazier as you can basically control everything from anywhere, in your bed, toilet, plane or even on the top of the Burj Khalifa if you want to.

This new mix between reality and the “virtual world” is a revolution but we can’t see a revolution as good or bad, we have to understand the problems that a technology like this can cause at the same time as enjoying the good size of it. For now, this technology is not accessible for the general public due to its price, but it could be in the future.