Banned books are the best books

Bryan Vo, Staff Reporter

Banned books are some of the best books because they provide readers with controversial and complex themes while pushing conversations that society calls taboo.

For decades, outraged parents attempted to ban books because of sensitive topics like racism, violence, offensive language or sex.

However, some of the most notable banned books, like “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Brave New World,” “1984,” “Fahrenheit 451” and “Kite Runner,” became classics.

These books provide opportunities for readers to view and experience life outside of the norm. People want to ban books that include sensitive topics, but those books help others who might feel alone in their struggles.

Take a look at a novel like “To Kill a Mockingbird,” which was banned for offensive language and racism. Yet since its release in 1960, the book remains relevant to this day.

As a high schooler, discussing the impact of racism and other sensitive topics helped me become a more caring and understanding person.

Similarly, the ability to have an open discussion about suicide after reading “Thirteen Reasons Why” holds great importance for anyone wanting to discuss topics that most people consider taboo.

High schoolers are exposed to issues such as suicide, bullying and sexual assault, but rarely get to discuss them. A book like “Thirteen Reasons Why” could help students affected by social pressures and give them the courage to reach out for help.

Books that push the boundaries of what people consider acceptable in today’s society only help us grow and connect with each other.