Millennials One, Facebook None.

Millennials One, Facebook None.

Daneia Rodriguez, Staff Writer

In the land of the social media, it seems like there is a new app or social media site every day. Prime among them, Facebook has been able to lead the pack water for several years.

Within one key demographic, however, things are beginning to change.

When Facebook first came around, back in 2004, it had a bit of a slow start, but it eventually became a huge hit amongst millennials. Ten years later, Facebook is the reigning social media giant, having drawn in over 1 billion users.

You can find anyone on Facebook now, from your grandmother to your best friend from 5th grade.

With so many users on Facebook, why have millenials began to step away? Quite frankly, it’s too much.

You can find anybody and everybody on Facebook but that does not mean you want to find them.

It went from being a fresh new social site to a family gathering and high school reunion, with an appearance from your annoying coworker and that one guy from your stats class.

Not to mention the annoying game and event invitations, or that lovely comment from your mom asking, “What’s in those red cups?”

The once impressive 1.23 billion users might now be too many. According to The Guardian, a study by Princeton researchers found that Facebook will lose 80 percent of its users over the next three years.

In another study conducted by iStrategyLabs, Facebook has already lost 7.5 percent of its users aged 18 to24, 59 percent of its college students and 59 percent of its high school students.

With such heavy losses wear are the millenials going?

They’re going to Instagram and Twitter. The two competing social networks serve as a refreshing alternate to Facebook simply because they keep all of their content short and sweet.

Twitter offers a picture and text based only site where the user can only type up to 140 characters per tweet. Whereas Instagram is picture and video based, aside from the comment section.

These two alternatives have eliminated the extra fat that Facebook had, and the best part of these two is that you can chose who you want to see as well as who can see you.

Just because that guy from your stats class followed you, doesn’t mean you have to follow back.

We prefer things to be straight to the point.

Instagram and Twitter get as simple as simple can get.

You write it, you post it and you’re done.

We live in a time where everything is fast paced and everything is happening in real time.

Both these social networks offer a way for us to keep up with what is going on in our lives and internationally literally as it is happening, and without scrolling past 50 posts of wedding and baby showers.