La Voz ad
Wii games come to DASB lounge
Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

The FHDA Police Department sets up a “Run Hide Defend” Zoom meeting to connect with faculties, students, civilians

March 27, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

Kendo: Beyond physical fitness

What I gained from the sport
Andreina Carnero Ramirez
Andreina Carnero (blue), a staff reporter with La Voz, fighting in the Steveston, Canada Kendo Tournament on Feb. 24.

Kendo has been a way for me to release stress since I started practicing it last year at the Hokka Sen Shin Kai Kendo Dojo.

“Kendo is a Japanese martial sport in which protagonists, dressed in the traditional attire of hakama (split skirt) and kendo-gi (training top), use shinai (bamboo swords) as they compete to strike four specific areas on the opponent’s bogu (armor). The targets, each of which must be called out in a loud voice (kiai) as an accurate strike is made with a strong spirit, are men (head), kote (wrists), do (torso) and tsuki, a thrust to the throat,” Alexander Bennett, a member of the International Committee of the All Japan Kendo Federation, wrote in his book, “Kendo: Culture of the Sword.”

I started practicing Kendo in 2023, after my brother-in-law asked me many times, during the pandemic, if I wanted to join the kendo classes with him and my nephew. It took me a while to decide because I thought Kendo would be much harder for me to practice.

Three years after he asked me about joining the Kendo classes, I decided to enroll. I thought it would be really fun practicing Kendo with my relatives, and after one year of practice, I could notice the impact it had on my life.

Daily life activities that involve school work and workload can tend to produce stress, but Kendo has been a way to manage it.
When I have a stressful day after many hours of studying and working, and then I practice Kendo, I feel refreshed and energized. This can be achieved because when people exercise, the body releases endorphins, which allows them to be in a good mood.
As a Kendo practitioner, I should stay focused while practicing it, being aware of the opponent’s intention to decide how to attack or counterattack, which means I do not have time to think about any concerns or issues I am facing.

Kendo has been not only a way to release stress, putting aside my worries and focusing on my opponent but also it has been a fun way to exercise with my relatives and make friends who have the same interests as me.

As a student, I think it is crucial to set a time for ourselves to relax and put aside our worries. We can find some activities or hobbies we are interested in and explore them.

According to a study, college students can experience higher stress levels than other age groups which affects students’ health. The results of this study show that sports play a crucial role in the mental health of students because they reduce levels of stress among students and improve happiness and psychological well-being.

There are different clubs at De Anza in which students can join and practice some sports such as Badminton, Shotokan Karate, Soccer and Ultimate Frisbee.