The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

La Voz ad
Wii games come to DASB lounge
Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

The FHDA Police Department sets up a “Run Hide Defend” Zoom meeting to connect with faculties, students, civilians

March 27, 2024

View All
Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities
Film screening aims to teach about Asian American historic struggles with identity

March 26, 2024

Humans of De Anza: Jill Quigley, the warm demander

March 26, 2024

Empowered Women

Empowered Women

March 26, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief
Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

PR 101 for Trump

PR 101 for Trump

March 22, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

Ricky Stanicky: Friendship, chaos, ‘air dicking’

A derpy illustration of John Cena in his role as Ricky Stanicky.
Claire Mao
A derpy illustration of John Cena in his role as “Ricky Stanicky.”

Ricky Stanicky” is a humorous take on the true meaning of friendship. Released on March 7 by Amazon MGM Studios, this 113 minute-long R-rated film stars Zac Efron and John Cena, marking a significant milestone in Cena’s acting career beyond his wrestling fame and the occasional cameo.

“Ricky Stanicky” is an imaginary friend whom Dean (Efron) and his buddies made up to excuse their mishaps 20 years ago. Now established in their careers and relationships, the trio still find themselves leaning on Stanicky to navigate the comedic complexities of adult responsibilities.

As their family and friends grow skeptical and insist on meeting the famous Stanicky they rope in “Rock Hard Rod” to embody Ricky. However, things quickly get out of hand and the trio is faced with a decision that could cause their pile of lies to come crashing down.

Efron is at his comedic best too — managing to make the chaos of living a lie somehow endearing — but Cena steals the show, blending humor and a surprising depth that makes you root for Rod despite the madness.

Now, the film does kick off on a quirky note; there is a bit of a rush to get things going, and you might feel like you are lost in the plot. But once the movie hits its stride, it is continuous laughs and gasps.

As for lessons learned – besides not inventing imaginary friends to cover for bad behavior – it is all about the bonds of friendship, owning up to your actions, and, oddly enough, the art of ‘air dicking’. Yeah, it’s a thing in the movie, and trust me, as bizarre as it sounds it’s true in the best possible way.

Cena’s recent Oscar night stunt, where he presented the best costume design award to “Poor Things” nearly nude, is just one of many ways he challenges himself. His willingness to push boundaries and embrace a variety of roles is highlighted through his character as Rock Hard Rod.

“Ricky Stanicky” is a comedic highlight of the year offering viewers a hilarious and heartwarming escape into a world where imagination knows no bounds. Whether you’re a fan of Efron’s charm or Cena’s comedic prowess, “Ricky Stanicky” is a must-watch on Amazon Prime.

★★★★★ 5/5 stars