Features: San Pedro Square; a Place to Study and Eat

Adrian Discipulo, Staff Writer

• San Pedro Square Market, located on North San Pedro street features plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and local eateries.

• Treatbot, a local ice-cream vendor and one of many desert choices available at San Pedro Square Market.

French-style hanging streetlights fill the halls with a warm glow amid the soft sound of friends talking and the comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee at San Pedro Square Market, just a few blocks away from the South First District on North San Pedro Street in downtown San Jose.

The market features three halls and an open air space to hang out right in the middle of it.

A wall divides the main building, with restaurants and a bar with large TVs that is usually filled with sports fans on one side, from a much quieter, intimate space filled with plenty of tables to work and a coffee shop known as B2 Coffee.

“Lately, I’m there two mornings a week because of that one coffee shop,” said De Anza College student Joe Abadilla, 36, kinesiology major. “One of the best coffee shops in my opinion.”

San Pedro Square Market offers plenty of fine dining from local restaurants in an easy-to-access manner

Sidney Le, 18, a prospective Berkley student currently living in San Jose, said San Pedro Square is interesting because it takes the food court approach to small businesses and high-quality dining.

“It basically nurtures the up-and-coming food boutiques,” Le said. “It’s super useful as a working space for both cooperative work and individual work.”

A farmers market is held on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring fresh produce from local growers.

“It’s a great place to hang out, and I like getting fresh fruit there,” said Sandy Huynh, 23, San Jose State
University student.

The market also features live music performances including Latin jazz and blues, every Friday at 7 p.m. for those who like a little atmosphere with their studying.

San Pedro Square Market is located at 87 N. San Pedro Street, near highways 280, 17 and 101, and is also easily accessible to De Anza students.