De Anza Women’s volleyball loses in final set

Drop three consecutive sets after jumping out to two set lead

Diana San Juan

De Anza freshman middle blocker Xena Thach spikes the ball over a C.C.S.F. defender. The Dons lost the match 3 sets to 2 after winning the first two sets of the game on Friday Oct. 17.

Diana San Juan, Staff Writer

The De Anza College women’s volleyball team was defeated by City College of San Francisco after losing by five points in the final set on Friday Oct. 17.

After dominating the first two sets of the game, the Dons seemed to have the game in the bag until the C.C.S.F.’s Rams tied up the game by winning the next two sets and then the fifth to break the tie.

During the first two sets of the game, the Dons showed much power and their team work led them to beat the Rams.

“They played well in the first two sets, showing a lot of fight,” said assistant coach Sarah Wallace.

From jumping high to spike the ball, to hitting the floor hard to save the ball, the Dons had their heads in the game. Scoring higher than the other team kept them going.

“In the first part of the game, we had high energy and the momentum was on our side,” said freshman setter Isabella Tantillo.

After the first two sets, the momentum was in the favor of the other team, as they managed to win the third and fourth set to force a fifth and deciding set.

“They relaxed a little bit during the second set of the game so that made them lose their momentum,” Wallace said.

Shortly after the third set began, there was a dispute about the way the plays were being called by the referee. Head coach Dawnis Guevara stood up for her team, stopping the game and telling the referee that she was being unfair.

Wallace said that the calls had nothing to do with the loss.

“The girls were waiting for the other team to mess up instead of making it happen themselves,” she said.

Team captain and outside hitter Rachel Rosete led her team the entire game and finished with 18 kills.

“We definitely could’ve been better but we had really good moments. All we needed was consistency,” Rosete said.

As the game stood in a tie, the Dons came into the fifth set strong, scoring the first two points. Still, the end result was in favor of the Rams 15-10.

Wallace, Tantillo, and Rosete all said staying motivated and focused no matter what the scoreboard reads is something that the Dons have to work on for future games.

The Dons’ next home game is on Friday Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. against Hartnell.

Photo Credit: Diana San Juan
Team captain Rachel Rosete spikes the ball as her teammates await the next move.