La Voz ad
Wii games come to DASB lounge
Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

The FHDA Police Department sets up a “Run Hide Defend” Zoom meeting to connect with faculties, students, civilians

March 27, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

PR 101 for Trump

What’s got broad stripes, bright stars, screams of patriotism?

You’ll be shocked to know it’s actually not the official flag of the United States of America, or any memorabilia for that matter, but a mysterious third thing: Donald Trump’s limited edition, The Never Surrender High-Top Sneaker.

The now sold-out sneakers were first announced on Feb. 17, 2024 at Philadelphia’s Sneaker Con. Retailing at the unreasonable price of $399, only a thousand pairs were made, with 10 pairs signed by Donald Trump. Shoppers were also strictly limited to three pairs per customer, as stated on the official website.

For quick reference, the Travis Scott x Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Mocha’ sneakers, a highly anticipated collaboration, originally retailed at around $175–a much more reasonable price for a highly respected sneaker company.

At first glance, the immediate question rushing into my mind was, “Who would buy such a thing?” The shoes themselves are trashy and tacky, much like Trump’s previous presidential debate behavior against his opponents.

However, I was quickly revisited by a time when people wore a specific red hat, so it comes as no surprise that these sneakers sold out within a few days.

In his press conference speech, Trump states this (the sneakers, I presume) has been a project he’s been wanting to delve into for 12-13 years.

“I think it’s going to be a big success,” Trump said.

The timing in which he finally chose to embark on this longtime dream of his arrived at a rather convenient moment, considering he and the Trump Organization had just been sued.

According to NPR, the shoes’ announcement occurred precisely one day after Trump and the Trump Organization received a lawsuit from Attorney General Letitia James following a three-year investigation of his fraudulent business practices in New York.

This isn’t the first time Trump has profited off of a scandal.

It’s important to note that the name of the shoes are inspired by Trump’s resilience and “never surrender” attitude, character descriptions that can also be found on the official website for a digital trading card of his mugshot–you know, the picture taken of someone when they get arrested.

The trading cards sold at $99 each were marketed as “a symbol of President Trump’s unwavering commitment and his enduring dedication to the American Dream.”

Leave it to the Trump Organization to profit off of a mugshot taken for the arrest on Aug. 24, 2023, for an attempt to commit election fraud.

As if it’s something to be proud of.

If anything, Trump’s PR team presented a brilliant and tactical lesson of getting the youth’s attention as the presidential elections are right around the corner.

“What’s the most important thing? To go out and vote, right,” Trump said in a speech at the conference at Sneaker Con. “We got to get young people out to vote.”

I find it a little hard to believe that after spending 12 to 13 years dreaming of this project, this was the best Trump could come up with. Covered in gold from the interior down to the laces with a big ‘T’ emblem on along the side and front tongue of the shoe, they’re Walmart quality shoes at best, and that’s an insult to Walmart.

Trump continues to say, “This country’s not doing so well, we’re going to turn this country around fast, we’re going turn it around fast, and we’re going to remember the young people, and we’re going to remember Sneaker Con, you know that.”