DA Voices: Does voting for student government matter?

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati, Staff Reporter

• Raquel Quintero, 19, sociology major "Yeah, because they are the ones putting our say into the politics on campus. Otherwise, we don’t know what’s going on and we don’t really have a say."

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati

• Mai Hua, 26, animation major "I think it matters, but I don’t I know a lot of people who I should vote for (...) I’ll say I don’t know enough about them to vote for them but I do think it matters though. "

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati

• Ruben Mancilla, 20, business administration major "It is important to be voting for these student elections because that is basically who is going to be in charge of whatever is getting handled at school. I think it’s something important and we should all take part in it. "

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati

• Duy Nguyen, 24, computer science major "Voting for student elections matter because the student body are voting on budgets that directly affect students … and DASB has a voice in that as well. However, the information provided by the senate is not sufficient. I see a lot of big claims on campus but there is no fact checking(...)Asking people to vote is one thing but I’m seeing more than thirty random strangers and I have to vote for them on very big decisions on campus. Claiming all these information is one thing but who is going to fact check these claims?"

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati

• Thanh Nguyen, 26, accounting major "I think it really matters (...) it depends on the candidates and how they want to change the student life in college. I heard presentations from one or two candidates and I think they have really good vision (...) I think it’s really good and it depends on what the student needs or desires for when they are going to school or something."

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati

• Briana Silan, 24, environmental sustainability major "I think they do especially because it has to do a lot with what’s going on in the outside world and in the community so voting for student body positions is like a step forward into our community. "

Abhiram Rishi Prattipati