Tent City campout returns to De Anza

Abraham Abundis, Staff Writer

Tent City returns to De Anza College Feb. 24-27 to challenge economic inequality and explore its impact on different communities.

The DASB Senate created flyers and a Facebook event page to promote student involvement and spread awareness about the weeklong campout.

“Tent City isn’t a protest. We’re trying to form a community space where we can discuss how to overcome the economic inequality barrier,” DASB senator Benjamin Pacho said. “We are inviting people to share personal stories and hopefully provide a cultural shift in a way to better understand college access and success.”

The event runs for four days in the main quad outside the De Anza Library.

A variety of topics will be addressed including: higher education funding, living wages, underrepresented populations, undocumented students, financial aid, incarceration rates, human rights, student employment, homeless encampments and environmental justice.

Main events include a film screening of “Inequality for All,” a documentary by former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich on society’s widening income gap, and workshops hosted by Students for Justice and Phi Theta Kappa.

Tent City will also host study sessions and open mike sessions and provide free dinner to participants.

More information about Tent City, including an itinerary, can be found by searching the event “Tent City” on Facebook.