The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

La Voz ad
Students walk out for Gaza
District reallocates $20 million from De Anza Events Center to Foothill Dental Hygiene Clinic

May 10, 2024

Health clinic Q&A opens up communication

April 28, 2024

New $20 minimum wage for fast food workers

April 27, 2024

View All
626 Night Market food festival kicks off summer with a variety of innovative refreshments
Floods in southern Brazil have destroyed more than 400 cities

May 18, 2024

Park-It Market keeps relieving students’ grocery needs

May 17, 2024

What to keep in mind when visiting Spain

May 15, 2024

View All
Campus police do not need tasers
Campus police already carry guns, but tasers should be their first option

May 22, 2024

Encampments at Columbia University endanger Jewish students

May 16, 2024

Solidarity with the student intifada

Solidarity with the student intifada

May 16, 2024

View All
The Laser Floyd show at the Fujitsu Planetarium
‘Challengers’ format overshadowed by the large amount of explicit content

May 5, 2024

‘Spy x Family: Code White’ is a sweet, charming subplot

April 30, 2024

‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage

April 15, 2024

View All

San Jose’s vibrant Mosaic Festival celebrates diversity, community unity

Entrance to the healing garden of the Mosaic Festival, taken on Sept. 30 located at Mexican Heritage Plaza, San Jose.
Mert Isikdogan

Mosaic America held the third annual Mosaic Festival, a two-day celebration of intercultural art and performances, from Sept. 30 to Oct. 1 at the Mexican Heritage Plaza in San Jose, celebrating diversity, culture, and unity by inviting locals to get together and enjoy art, music, and food together.

Mosaic America is a nonprofit organization whose works feature art and performances that are inspired by the diverse cultural blends of the United States.

According to the Mosaic America website, the festival featured a wide array of activities including dance performances, art and craft workshops, art exhibitions, live yoga sessions, poetry readings and sound healing sessions, diverse culinary offerings ,among other engaging experiences. 

Artistic expression is at the forefront of the festival, with activities such as mural painting, chalk art, traditional games like loteria bingo, mahjong, board and card games, drumming, watercoloring and more. 

Beyond entertainment, the Mosaic Festival provided its attendees with informative resources.

Showing Up for Racial Justice, in collaboration with Sacred Heart Community Service in San Jose, presented to offer information on decarceration, housing assistance, immigration services and indigenous solidarity. 

CreaTV San Jose, a nonprofit community media center dedicated to inspiring and connecting San Jose communities through digital media, fostering engagement and involvement—was another informational booth presented.  Bianka Bell from CreaTV said she hoped to attract new creatives from the event.

“CreaTV is a safe space where we share self-expression through community media,”  Bell said.

Participant and vendor Steven Rubalcaba, a San Jose local, showcased his collection of moss-art frame displays and geometric table-top pieces at the multicultural event. Rubalcaba said he loves making art in a shared space with other artists.

“Since I am from the area, I love creating and making art in a shared space with culturally driven, like-minded individuals,” Rubalcaba said. “It’s great.” 

Among the wide variety of businesses, Dwayne Jones from Blue Drip Co.  a home aroma company, said he launched his business with support from his family and is eager to give back to the community. 

“I want to get involved with the community,” Jones said. “I actually put together little hygiene kits to give out to the community, especially the homeless.” 

San Jose City Council member Bien Doan, representing District 7, said he attended the event to support the locals and help bring the communities of San Jose together. 

“Having a multicultural event helps us to bond and collaborate, versus being divisive,” Doan said. “I want to be that bridge for all of our communities to come together.”