Open Mic Night showcases artistic talent

Steven Hall, Staff Reporter

Open Mic Night was held at De Anza College’s Euphrat Museum, where students came to give a performance of anything they wished on Thursday, May 1.

“A lot of students still don’t know that we have this going on here on campus,” said McTate Stroman II, 42, club advisor for the Open Mic Night and one of the performers.

Amidst paintings, photographs and various sculptures from different artists, students as well as staff and guests were encouraged by Stroman as he played the part of D.J. and master of ceremonies.

“As a poet, you want people to hear what you have to say and people come into a museum quietly and observe the art so it’s the same mentality,” Stroman said.

Lyniesha Smith, 20, third year at De Anza, reciting her own poems.

The performances consisted of rap, poetry readings, comedy routines and singing, all of which were easy to hear due to the impressive acoustics of the small museum.

“I like both dancing and comedy, but this was my first time trying comedy,” said Levin Rojan, a dance major. “I got into comedy because I liked it, but sometimes that’s all you need.”

The audience created an enthusiastic atmosphere, displaying energy in their attention and interaction with the performers.

“I love the people here,” Rojan said. “I come here every time as long as I can make it.”

Promotions were also prevalent in the performance, though they came in different manners and styles.

Ken Weisner, professor of creative writing at De Anza College and the advisor of Red Wheelbarrow, a student-run and produced magazine, got up to speak about the publication in order to promote submissions from the attendees.

Another performer, Jerome Jabdjaw, handed out CDs of his raps for those who wanted to have them, all of which were taken by audience members who also proceeded to perform rap or poetry.

Rojan said, “It’s important for us who come up here to not have the fear of being ridiculed or put down.”