La Voz ad
New $20 minimum wage for fast food workers
Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

DA Voices: Women’s History Month

“DA Voices” is a recurring feature used to spotlight De Anza College’s diverse community voices. We ask the same question to different people and arrange their quotes so that readers can see varying points of view. This week, our reporter Sabrina Kulieva and our Art & Entertainment Editor Ingrid Lu asked, “What does Women’s History Month mean to you?”

Psomí Robinson, 24, anthropology major, pauses in the main quad while collecting signatures for a ceasefire petition on Mar. 14. (Ingrid Lu)

Psomí Robinson, 24, an anthropology major, said that Women’s History Month is about female achievement, as well as personal relationships with women.

“It’s about remembering the women that have done some amazing things in the past and just honoring the women in my life,” Robinson said.

Christian Pineda, 18, psychology major, stops for a photo while passing out stickers on Mar. 14. (Ingrid Lu)

For Christian Pineda, 18, a psychology major, Women’s History Month is about one particular person.

“I think the meaning of Women’s History Month in my life is that women are very important,” Pineda said. “I have my best friend who has actually saved me from suicide on multiple occasions and I just really appreciate her for that every day.”

Isabel Castrejon, 18, a psychology major, walks by the L Quad on Mar. 14. (Ingrid Lu)

Isabel Castrejon, 18, a psychology major, said that she spends time with her mother during this month.

“I think it’s the appreciation of all the women who have supported me in my life, in general. But specifically my mother, she’s worked really hard to get us to where we are in life now. She immigrated here, so I look up to her a lot for her resistance,” Castrejon said.

Andres Vega, 25, computer science major, walks by the main quad fountain on Mar. 14. (Ingrid Lu)

Andres Vega, 25, a computer science major, also gave his mother special acknowledgement.

“My mom, definitely,” Vega said. “Other than the obvious things like giving birth to me, she also helped raise me to the person I am currently, and I love her.”

Elizabeth Tsai, 17, a computer engineering major, walks by the L Quad on Mar. 14. (Ingrid Lu)

Elizabeth Tsai, 17, a computer engineering major, said that Women’s History Month is something that helps people to remember what it’s like to be a women:

“Women’s History Month is a very special month where people can know more about women in the past,” Tsai said. “Women who make new innovations, represent different cultures and break rules that other people put on them, creating new rules for themselves.”

Bryce Aberg, 20, a business major, stops by the L Quad fountain on his way to class. (Ingrid Lu)

Bryce Aberg, 20, business major, named the women that he appreciates the most.

“I honestly didn’t know it was Women’s History Month, but now that you say it, I love my mom and I love my girlfriend,” Aberg said.