La Voz ad
Wii games come to DASB lounge
Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

The FHDA Police Department sets up a “Run Hide Defend” Zoom meeting to connect with faculties, students, civilians

March 27, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

DASG Programs committee discusses next events

Plans for week 11 and the upcoming spring quarter also in agenda
Andreina Carnero
DASG Programs Committee discusses some events for the De-Stress happening in week 11 of the winter quarter and upcoming events for the spring quarter in the DASG lounge meeting room on Mar. 6.

The De Anza Student Government Programs committee discussed some plans regarding environmental sustainability, the flea market and some other events for the community during its program meeting led by Asiya Shaikh, DASG Chair of Programs and economics major, at the DASG lounge on March 6 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

The first business item discussed in the meeting was about environmental sustainability updates. Interns provided some ideas that can be implemented during the Earth Week in April.

Shaikh mentioned some of the environmental sustainability intern’s ideas about this event. One idea was about recycling sustainable clothing in which if people have old clothes or clothes they are not wearing, they can donate them and then it can be sold for a lower price or given for free.

She said another intern’s idea could be a recycling sorting where people could bring to campus certain recyclable items such as electronics or paper waste. This way, people can throw away their stuff in a container, and a company or organization can help them to get the waste taken to earning.

There were different ideas discussed about the Earth Week, so Adrian Sedgwick, environmental sustainability coordinator, will plan to set a meeting with ES interns to get a list of ideas for activities for this event that will occur in the spring quarter.

The second business item discussed during the meeting was flea market updates. Flea market liaisons talked about some plans for the monthly event.

Jannah Sheriff, 19, flea market liaison and computer science major, mentioned they are learning some proposals for a medical center that may be constructed on campus in the parking lot where the market is located, which may have an impact on the event.

Ian Ang, 21, flea market liaison and computer science major, said the flea market will also host a submarket for gaming and anime, also known as a hachi market.

The hachi market will launch with the May flea market, with around 30 vendors already interested in participating.

The third business item was about event updates. Leondre Lee, 20, DASG events coordinator and data science major, talked about some details for the De-Stress Week activities and also another event that will be happening during the spring quarter.

Lee mentioned details of the De-Stress Week activities which will be from March 18 to March 20 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be an event where students can play video games, such as Mario Kart, participate in crafts such as origami or pipe cleaner flowers, decorate cookies and participate in sports tournaments with the ultimate frisbee and dodgeball clubs’ collaborations.

Lee talked about a Carnival event which is still being planned with senators and might be during week 5 or 8 of the spring quarter.

After the meeting, the La Voz reporter talked to Shaikh, and she explained the importance of events such as the Earth and De-Stress Week.

She said Earth Week is important for people to raise awareness about recycling and promote sustainability. People will learn what kinds of items are recyclable and what items would be considered waste.

Shaikh stated many students at De Anza focus on their academic goals which involve trying to get their degree and get out sooner, so students spend a lot of time on their courses, but they do not get a chance to just take a break and relax especially during final or midterm season. The De-Stress week provides students an opportunity to take a quick break which is helpful for their mental health.