The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

The voice of De Anza since 1967.

Nationwide news: How it relates to us

At the center of a long-standing debate about free speech on college campuses at the moment are the actions of 11 students at the University of California Irvine, who disturbed the speech of a guest speaker invited by the law school, according to Dean of the UCI Law School, Erwin Chemerinsky.

The students who disrupted the speaker were arrested and face charges. This has created an outcry on campus from those who wish to see the students prosecuted, and those who believe the students were exercising their first amendment right to free speech and the ability to protest peacefully.

According to Chemerinsky, “Freedom of speech on campuses and elsewhere is rendered meaningless if speakers can be shouted down by those who disagree.

“The law is well established that the government can act to prevent a heckler’s veto – to prevent the reaction of the audience from silencing the speaker.”

“There is simply no First Amendment right to go into an auditorium and prevent a speaker from being heard, no matter who the speaker is or how strongly one disagrees with his or her message.”

Many students at De Anza disagree with this. Political science major Andrea Truong thinks arresting the students “violates their first amendment for freedom of speech.” According to Truong, the administration is creating a façade of the student being wrong when “this country was founded on the idea of revolution and action … it is sad to see students who are exercising their constitutional rights arrested.”

The students were not courteous, but still maintain the right to say how they feel about issues, environmental science major Asim khan said. “The student voice has to be heard, and if that is the only way people will listen, then so be it,” Khan said.

Student activist Cain Ramirez thinks that administrative action is a result of fear the UC Administration is feeling because of the budget cuts.

“They are trying to put down any sign of rebellion so it doesn’t become bigger than they can handle,” said Ramirez.

“Sitting around asking questions doesn’t get things done; it takes action to get things moving … so voice your opinions about issues now while you have the chance.”