La Voz ad
Wii games come to DASB lounge
Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

Rep. Ro Khanna, Jewish Democratic Coalition of the Bay Area hold town hall on antisemitism

March 28, 2024

The FHDA Police Department sets up a “Run Hide Defend” Zoom meeting to connect with faculties, students, civilians

March 27, 2024

View All
Students spice up their summer quarter overseas
An international student’s guide to De Anza’s resources

April 25, 2024

De Anza Auto Tech Car Show roars to life in long-running tradition

April 24, 2024

Learn4Justice: Inspiring change, progress among youth in our communities

March 28, 2024

View All
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099
La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

Spring forward to summer

Spring forward to summer

March 24, 2024

View All
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage
Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

The Power Cup collab experience

The Power Cup collab experience

April 9, 2024

View All

Badminton rises up after a rocky start

Team comes off four-loss streak with a three-win streak, is back on the path to a fifth championship
Anna Bhogra
A De Anza badminton player, throwing the flywheel.

De Anza’s four-time state championship title-holding badminton team struggles to maintain that reputation this season with its younger and newer players.

Last year’s team was composed of mostly sophomores, leaving this season with a batch of new freshmen, who are generally more inexperienced, to take over and learn. Only two of the players who were a part of last year’s back-to-back championship team, sophomores Renee Ou and Kelly Tran, are on the team this year.

The Mountain Lions are currently in the middle of the pack and have improved a lot since the start of the season. With four losses, De Anza picked up to take their third win in a row against Foothill College on Thursday, March 21, with a final score of 16-5.

Head Coach Mark Landelfield said that the team is “starting to get the type of results out of people who weren’t able to contribute points against the early matches.”

Malian Vuong, 18, a business major, in her ready stance, concentrated to take the next shot. (Anna Bhogra)

Malian Vuong, 18, a business major on the team, said she strategized her wins by “targeting their (opponents) backhand because most of the time that’s their weak spot, and clearing so they stay in the back of the court (which) makes them run.”

Enya Liu, 19, an environmental science major, said she struggled most throughout her doubles game today because her partner is a new pairing as her original partner has an injury.

“(My partner) struggled a bit with communication and rotation since (we) are still getting familiar with each other on the court,” Liu said.

De Anza has two rematches against Fresno City College and the City College of San Francisco coming up; the Mountain Lions lost to Fresno with a tight score of 11-10, so, Landelfield said, a victory is in the cards for the next match; he also said they also hope to be the only team to beat CCSF.

Vuong reacting to the next shot. (Anna Bhogra)

“We did not play in a way that was indicative of our abilities the first time around,” Landelfield said about their 20-1 loss to CCSF. “Until we get there, I want to believe that we’re competing to win the match, which we weren’t in a position to do weeks ago.”

De Anza will play their next matches at San Diego Mesa College on April 1 and Pasadena City College on April 2, two colleges Vuong said that the team has in their sights.