A different form of independence

Maryam Golkar, Staff Reporter

Breaking away from my parents, who have always provided for me in so many ways, did not mean moving out or becoming financially independent when I first started at De Anza College.

It meant taking my time at college more seriously and knowing that I was putting their money to good use. While this may not be the traditional way people define independence, it was for me.

I come from a Middle Eastern and European household where often times parents will support their children until marriage, which includes putting them through school without having to pay for it on their own.

I was so excited to attend community college straight out of high school, but like many new college students I switched up my major multiple times and realized I had no idea what I was actually doing.

My first two years of college were honestly a waste. I did take certain courses that I would have needed eventually, but I also spent time taking random classes just because I could.

During my third year of college, I was lucky enough to meet some amazing counselors who helped me create an education plan to guide me in the right direction towards deciding my major.

Once I learned exactly what courses to take in order to reach my goals, I had an entirely different outlook on college and I actually went to school feeling like I had purpose being there.

It improved my relationship with my parents because instead of avoiding their questions about school, I actually felt confident about my academics and proud to be on a productive path.

I used to feel guilty making my parents pay for my education because I secretly knew I had no idea what I was doing even though I put them under the impression that I did. It felt deceitful and wasteful.

But I am on a completely different path now and I am putting myself in the position to succeed, which is really all my parents want for me in the end