Silicon Valley Reads comes to De Anza

Krystal Alvarado, Staff Writer

De Anza College is hosting Silicon Valley Reads events that kicks off today Feb. 3.

The two books selected are “The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains” by Nicholas Carr and “Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore” by Robin Sloan.

This year’s theme is “Books and Technology: Friends or Foe?”

“Deep Reading,” an exhibit at the Euphrat Museum of Art begins on Feb. 3 and goes to Mar. 20.

“Off the Page,” a combination of readings and discussions, will be on Feb. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Visual & Performing Arts Center.

“Off the Page” will be premiering a video poem, “A Family Album” by former Santa Clara County poet laureate.

The purpose of Silicon Valley Reads is to encourage everyone in Silicon Valley to read one or both selected books then attend one of the free public events to discuss the reading and to participate in open discussions.

De Anza has been partners with Silicon Valley Reads for seven years and has been offering opportunities for students to participate in the program.

“One of the most unique ways the college has participated is with a related exhibit at the Euphrat Museum of Art,” said Marisa Spatafore, director of communications and marketing.

“President Murphy has been the popular moderator of Silicon Valley Reads culminating event of the year, which brings the authors back together for a conversation,” said Spatafore. “He will serve in that role again in March.”

More information about these events can be found on the De Anza website or the Silicon Valley Reads website.

“Reading a new book, meeting new people, learning what others think and comparing it to my thoughts sounds like a fun new experience,” said De Anza student Olivia Salazar, 18, undecided major.

Students can find both books at the campus library, and the books will be available for purchase at the Bookstore.

For those students who want to participate in other free events for Silicon Valley Reads, the full schedule is available on its website.