Men’s Soccer wins again

Dons beat Hawks 2-0 for 10th victory

Jacob Sisneros

De Anza College freshman midfielder Josue Mendoza (14) flicksthe ball past a Las Positas College defender. The Dons defeated the Hawks 2-0 for their tenth win in a row on Tuesday Oct. 7.

Cristian Munoz-Ayala, Staff Writer

The De Anza College men’s soccer team won their tenth game in a row, defeating Las Positas 2-0 on Tuesday Oct. 7. The streak includes seven consecutive wins in preseason and a three game winning streak in conference play.

The men’s soccer team is ranked second in the nation among Division III
junior colleges. The team was undefeated as of friday

“First test of the season, I thought we did well,” said sophomore forward and team captain Rajaee DeLane. “Our team was well prepared, we trained hard, honestly it was just another game for us.”

Just seven minutes into the game, Dons’ freshman forward Connor Kurze scored a beautiful goal to give De Anza an early 1-0 advantage. Controlling the crossed ball with his chest, he hit a first time volley into the back of the net.

This goal set the tempo for the rest of the first half.

During the first half, the Dons dominated the field and were able to play at their own pace without letting the Hawks have any dangerous scoring chances.

With halftime approaching, Dons’ freshman forward Roberto Mendoza scored the second goal of the game to put the Dons up 2-0 right before the half.

In the second half, Dons’ sophomore defender Jack Johnson was able to stop any scoring chances and help his team hold Las Positas scoreless.

“It was a confidence booster,” Johnson said. “Going into a big game on Friday, it was pretty good to get a clean sheet.”

For the rest of the second half De Anza kept control of the ball, completed most of their passes, and stopped Las Positas from making a comeback.

De Anza head coach Rusty Johnson said he was satisfied with the way his team played especially because it was their first tough game of the season.

“I felt like the guys had control of the game and we needed to manage what was happening in the midfield and we could control the game,” Johnson said. “So the guys worked hard and did a good job and closed the game out.”

The De Anza men’s soccer team’s next home game is on Friday Oct. 24 at 4 p.m. against Gavilan College.