Women’s badminton captures second straight state title

Dons cap off another undefeated season by dominating San Diego in the finals

Jeff Facun

The De Anza team huddles up before the start of doubles competition versus San Diego. They led the match 5-1 after round one of singles matches in the 2014 CCCAA Dual Badminton Team Championship at De Anza College.

Jeff Facun, Sports Editor

The De Anza College badminton team reached a fitting end to the season and gave a dominating performance at that.

The Dons completed another undefeated season to capture the state title for the second year in a row with an emphatic win over San Diego City College 19-2 on Thursday, May 8.

Leading the way, sophomore Pinky Li won both of her matches in quick succession. She also won both her doubles matches with sophomore Christina Ja.

Freshman Alice Liu and sophomore Jessica Dinh won their singles matches and partnered together to win their doubles matches.

The exciting match of the first round was sophomore Phoebe Wong against San Diego’s Trinh Lang. Wong came from behind versus Lang to win her match (17-21, 21-16, 21-19).

With expectations elevated from a championship last year, badminton head coach Mark Landefeld said this win was satisfying because of the many returnees from that team.

“We knew 52 weeks ago, we probably should be back (at the state championships),” Landefeld said. “With that, you create your own set of expectations you want to live up to, but that can be challenging.”

The challenge was met and they bettered their performance from last season.

Ja said that the first championship felt better, but the second title was rewarding.

De Anza sophomore Pinky Li prepares to serve in her second round match against San Diego City College on Thursday, May 8. Li won her match (21-6, 21-7) versus Darby Duprat.

“Our three sophomores, Pinky (Li), Jessica (Dinh) and Christina (Ja), have carried the team not only score wise but also by training by leading by example,” Landefeld said. “They have been outstanding players.”

On Saturday, May 10, Li won her second consecutive singles championship by beating Irvine Valley College’s Jurate Foes in the final.

De Anza also won the doubles championships with Li and Ja beating teammates Dinh and Liu in the doubles final.