Candidates make push for DASB presidency

Candidates for DASB Senate president (from left) Julie Malakiman, 18, business major, Mehdi Mahmoodi, 19, mechanical engineering major and Mia Hernandez, 20, political science major, depicted in a photo illustration.

Jessica Sun

Carla Arango, Staff Writer

Online voting for the 2014-2015 DASB Senate starts today and will be open until Friday, May 16 at 4 p.m.

With posters and flyers, DASB senate candidates began campaigning on May 5 in an attempt to win student’s votes.

They are presenting in classrooms and speaking one on one with students on campus.

“I am looking for students to feel like they have an opportunity to succeed at De Anza College,” said presidential candidate Mia Hernandez, 20, political science major, a member of the Empower coalition.

If elected, some of the issues she would like to address during her term are WI-FI accessibility, a campus-wide peer mentoring program and opportunities for students to get involved everyday.

By improving these things, “we can help empower one another to succeed,” Hernandez said.

“A vote for Empower is a vote for change,” Hernandez said. “It’s one thing to listen to students’ voices and another to amplify them and take action.”

Presidential candidate Mehdi Mahmoodi, 19, mechanical engineering major said he wants “to change the way people view their student government.”

“Walking into the senate office and expressing your concerns should be second nature for the students” Mahmoodi said. “People should vote for me because I am accessible and I won’t be sitting around in the senate office all day after I am elected.”

“I’ll be roaming the campus, interacting and listening to the students,” Mahmoodi said.

If elected, Mahmoodi would like to extend tutoring center hours, talk to small businesses about providing De Anza students with discounts and have more social events.

Presidential candidate Julie Malakiman, 18, business major who is a member of the D.A.R.E. coalition said she “would like to make the financial aid process more efficient and less hectic for students to get their money on time.”

As DASB president, Malakiman hopes to extend the library and tutoring center hours for students, particularly for those who take night classes and are currently unable to take advantage of these services.

She said she would like to bring food trucks on campus to give students more variety and make De Anza more enjoyable.

“I don’t say things that are unrealistic and I have the leadership skills to run a senate,” Malakiman said.

Malakiman said she would also like to have student or alumni counselors available on campus to mentor students who have a difficult time reaching faculty counselors.

“It would be very beneficial for students,” she said.

De Anza students are looking forward to change around campus.

“I would like WI-FI to be more accessible around campus and to have more nutritional food for cheaper prices,” said Gabriel Gomez, 20, liberal arts major.

Liliana Alvarez, 18, undecided major said she’s “looking for a person who will keep their promises and can coordinate and execute events in a artistically appealing and functional way.”

“I would also like to have better WI-FI, and more food variety, like Una Mas,” Alvarez said. “It would be cool to have our vegetable garden so we can grow our own salad ingredients, maybe that would make them cheaper.”