DASB Senate candidate faces disqualification

Members of the United coalition running for DASB Senate positions accused Revolution coalition members of fraudulent behavior at the election complaints meeting on Wednesday, May 29.

The election was held from Monday, May 20, to Sunday, May 26. The election results were scheduled to be released May 29, but have been delayed.

The complaint accused Revolution candidates Ben Pacho and Kevin Nguyen of fraudulent behavior during a Revolution class presentation on Monday, May 20, as a violation of campaign conduct that prohibited libelous behavior.

Five students and a teacher signed a petition stating that two Revolution members asserted that re-electing United members would lead to other scandals and injustices.

“I was merely alluding to the corruption allegation of the current senate, and of one senator in particular running for re-election who recently violated a California statute by taking stacks of school newspapers,” Pacho said during the meeting.

La Voz reported May 6 that Ryan Royster, a DASB senator running for re-election with the United coalition, and another DASB senator took stacks of newspapers in violation of the California Penal Code. The senate penalized neither Royster nor the other senator, but De Anza administration said the college was investigating the misconduct.

Pacho apologized if his comment was taken out of context to include other United candidates. He said that Ngyuen was not involved

Andrew Nazarenko, a United candidate, said he heard the class presentation and gathered the signatures the next day.

“I do not remember him saying anything to do with one senator. He was making specific allegations to United members who are in senate who are running again,” Nazarenko said. “I heard him refer to scandals, and say that they would continue if United members got back into office.”

Pacho, who is the La Voz opinions editor, declined to comment.

The committee voted to disqualify Pacho, who then appealed the decision. The DASB Senate will consider the appeal at its meeting Wednesday, June 5.

“Election results have been postponed until June 5th after the senate meeting where Ben will be appealing the elections committee decision to the DASB senate,” according to an email from Pablo Zamorano, president of the senate and chairman of the elections committee.

The meeting also addressed a complaint involving improper labeling in United campaign material. The committee ruled it a minor offense that did not affect the election.