Report of gunman leads to SJCC lockdown2 min read


photo courtesy of SJCC TIMES

AT ARMS ON PROTOCOL – San Jose Police search through the SJCC newsroom during the lockdown

Nathan Mitchell

San Jose City College was on lockdown Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012, due to an armed man on campus.
But, the police did not find the gunman after searching the campus, said Sgt. Jason Dwyer of the San Jose Police Department, and no one was hurt during the incident.
The campus police department received a report at about 4 p.m. A man had a gun at the college’s Technology Center, said Chief Ray Aguirre of the San Jose Evergreen District Police Department.
The campus police immediately called in SJPD without delay, who responded with about 40 personnel, Dwyer said.
The college initiated a lockdown at around 4:15 p.m. and notified the students of the lockdown at 5:04 p.m., according to emails sent by the San Jose Evergreen Community College District and its emergency alert system.
Minutes before SJCC student, Jessica Gaudé’s cosmetology class ended someone rushed into the room to tell the teacher “something bad was happening,” Gaudé said.
Her teacher ordered the class to hide, locked the door and turned off the lights. An administration official later led an evacuation, Gaudé said.
“They didn’t give us much information while we were in the classroom,” Gaudé said.
“I wasn’t sure about what really happened until the next day when we got an email about it.”
“It was scary,” said Tani Marin, 21, Gaudé’s classmate. “We all got on our phones to see what was really going on.”
The police combed each floor of the Technology Center, located at the intersection of South Bascom and Moorpark avenues, according to reports by SJCC’s student newspaper, whose newsroom is in the Technology Center.
“The [police] teams entered the newsroom with guns drawn and ordered the Times staff and their adviser to stand still and raise their hands,” Steve Hill and Patrick Leora of The City College Times reported.
The college’s district office sent an all-clear email at 8:12 p.m.
The lockdown occurred during SJCC’s final exams week,  but any interrupted exams were rescheduled, said Greg Nelson, vice president of Administrative Services at SJCC.
Classes resumed their normal schedules the next day, Dec. 19, Nelson said.