Film/TV showcase

Department to honor the best from past year

Alan Roths Zombie in the Kitchen

Alan Roth’s “Zombie in the Kitchen”

Michael Mannina, Events Editor

What could a Public Service Announcement about kitchen/food safety, featuring zombies, be for? The 35th Annual Student Film & Video Show being held on Friday, June 13 at  the Visual Performing Arts Center.

Along with the zombie PSA, 14 other films ranging from documentary and animation to experimental and narrative will also be screened.

According to Film/Television instructor Susan Tavernetti, the films being viewed are from a wide array of filmmakers in classes ranging from the beginning (F/TV 20) to the most advanced courses.

Along with the films, Film/Television faculty will be on hand to give out this year’s Chadwick Okamoto Awards in the areas of film/television production, screenwriting and animation.

Chad Okamoto was a student in De Anza’s Animation Program from1998 to 2001. He died soon after becoming a professional animator. Scholarships are given annually to students who exemplify his finest traits: artistic excellence, tireless work ethic and generous assistance to others. Nancy and Al Okamoto, Chad’s parents, are the ones making the awards possible.

Students are nominated by faculty for these awards, and recipients are revealed at the event.

Some of the students exhibiting films have already been accepted into highly-sought after institutions.

Jeremy Deneau, who’s showing the film “No Refuge,” was accepted into USC’s School of Cinematic Arts.

Winners of the F/TV Department 7th Annual Screenplay Competition will also be announced this evening.

Admission is $7; for more information about the event, contact Susan Tavernetti at 408-864-8872.