La Voz ad
Health clinic Q&A opens up communication
New $20 minimum wage for fast food workers

April 27, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

Foothill Academic Senate rejects ceasefire resolution

April 10, 2024

View All
Muslim Student Association hosts Islamic bingo night
Photo Essay: SoFa Street Fair slams life into Downtown San Jose

April 30, 2024

Photo Essay: Empty shoes

Photo Essay: Empty shoes

April 30, 2024

Students spice up their summer quarter overseas

April 26, 2024

View All
Teenagers should read more books
La Botomy: Gender-neutral bathroom to be fixed in 2099

April 19, 2024

La Botomy: Free parking and the five stages of grief

April 17, 2024

With my credit card in hand, I approached one of the many lovely, solar-powered kiosks to generously offer a financial tribute to De Anza for allowing my vehicle to occupy their pavement. That was the moment I was confronted with the ugly reality of the current parking situation. The sign that was adhered with duct tape to the kiosk read, “FREE PARKING FOR THE QUARTER;” ...

Are you willing to have dialogue with a Zionist?

March 26, 2024

View All
‘Spy x Family: Code White’ is a sweet, charming subplot
‘Princess Peach: Showtime’ takes the stage

April 15, 2024

Vision Pro, revolution or show of force by Apple?

April 13, 2024

Wii games come to DASB lounge

Wii games come to DASB lounge

April 11, 2024

View All

Fashion Wok: a hidden gem for downtown Sunnyvale boba

Dine-in restaurant offers cheaper, quicker boba than other spots in the area
Ann Penalosa
Fashion Wok’s Thai milk tea with pearls cost $3.82 in February; now, it and the boba milk tea both cost $5.18, still the cheapest drinks with boba included in downtown Sunnyvale by 62 cents.

Fashion Wok is a restaurant nestled in the walkway between Murphy Street and the parking lot off of Frances Street in downtown Sunnyvale. Established in 2015, the spot is a relative newcomer and small franchise with only one other location in Foster City.

Fashion Wok’s storefront as it appears coming in from the parking lot by Frances and Olson, coming into Murphy St. (Ann Penalosa)

Fashion Wok is better known for its catering and dine-in experiences with an expansive menu of over 150 food offerings, but the restaurant is also a competitor in one of the downtown’s fastest-growing sectors: the boba scene.

Sandwiched between six other storefronts dedicated to boba — Chaiyo Tea, Teamoji, Bambu, Teazzi, K Tea Cafe and Bober Tea — Fashion Wok does what it does the quickest, cheapest and largest drink for its price point, despite not marketing itself as a “boba store.”

Fashion Wok only offers six fresh teas and juices — the least of any spot in downtown, not including its pre-packaged options, soft drinks or alcoholic offerings — boba milk tea, Thai milk tea, passionfruit juice, peach juice, strawberry juice and lemon juice.

A shot of Fashion Wok’s drinks on its menu — of downtown Sunnyvale’s boba spots, Fashion Wok has the least offerings with two conventional milk teas and four juices. For the juices, pearls come at an added 55 cents after tax. (Ann Penalosa)

With such few offerings and only one drink size to work with, their staff has less to worry about with their drink menus (though they offer extra sugar and less ice but that’s about it), delivering a refreshing experience every single time.

The spot includes pearls for its boba milk tea and Thai milk tea but charges an extra 50 cents (55 cents after tax) to include pearls in its other offerings.

While Bambu and K Tea Cafe also charge 50 cents to put pearls in their drinks, they do not have any options that include pearls in their original price point. Additionally, the drinks at both spots start at $5.50 without pearls ($6.01 after tax) and $6 with pearls ($6.55 after tax).

With a monthly rotating “specialty” discount of $3.50 ($3.82 after tax) on one drink, Fashion Wok leaves Teamoji’s classic and oolong milk teas in a distant second place at $4.95 (tax included) for a medium size without pearls; the restaurant’s other drinks that month are $4.75 ($5.18 after tax), edged out by Teamoji after tax but with much more drink than Teamoji’s medium offering and pearls included.

Considering that it’s unfair to call a drink boba if pearls in the drink — and adding boba at Teamoji costs 75 cents (tax included) — it’s safe to say Fashion Wok offers the cheapest boba in downtown Sunnyvale by a landslide, even if it only has its two tea offerings and its monthly special in the running.

Fashion Wok’s passionfruit juice cost $3.82 in March after tax; with the boba included it rang up to $4.37, still cheaper than any other spot in downtown Sunnyvale’s cheapest drink by 38 cents (and by $1.23 for the cheapest offering outside Fashion Wok with pearls). (Ann Penalosa)

Wait times are also significantly shorter at Fashion Wok with its smaller drink menu to work with, as my visits over the last four months averaged around only a minute of waiting after putting my order in. Unlike their other orders which go to the kitchen, drinks are handled at the front and are prepared in batches. The longest I’ve had to wait for drinks was two minutes and that was because I ordered multiple drinks at the same time, making it a faster experience per drink.

Compare this to other spots in downtown that have averaged around three to five minutes of waiting for their drinks without taking queues into account, partly because of their bigger menus and the fact that their storefronts are dedicated to boba, boba and nothing but boba, as well as the fact that they prepare their drinks individually.

That comes on top of the fact that Fashion Wok is open later than any other boba shop in downtown, staying open until 11:30 p.m. every day except Sundays, where it closes at 9:30 p.m.; the second latest shop to close, Bober Tea, keeps its doors open until 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays but closes up shop by 9 p.m. every other day.

Overall, Fashion Wok’s boba impressed me — while the boba itself was in the middle of the pack for downtown, it caught me off guard by being that good and that big of a cup at its price point, for a restaurant that is not explicitly a boba store.

Payment options: Cash, card, Apple Pay, Google Pay

Hours: 11 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday

Phone: (408) 739-8866

Rating: 4.8/5

Distance from De Anza: 20 minutes by bus