President Brian Murphy announces retirement

Fall 18 Editor-in-Chief

More stories from Christian Trujano

After 14 years, President Brian Murphy announces his plan to retire the end of spring quarter

Photo Courtesy: De Anza Website

Photo Courtesy: De Anza Website

Photo Courtesy: De Anza Website

In a quarterly welcome email to faculty and staff on Monday, April 9,  De Anza College President Brian Murphy announced his plan to retire after spring quarter because of health issues.

He plans to “be fully engaged this spring, working with our community to meet our budget goals.”

Murphy started at De Anza in 2004 after his predecessor, Martha Kanter, was named chancellor of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District.

Murphy’s career at De Anza is marked by a commitment to engaging students with social justice and democracy. He was instrumental in the creation of the Vasconcellos Institute for Democracy in Action or VIDA, an organization connecting students with political causes, which remains highly influential on campus.

In the email, Murphy states that he is “enormously proud of the dual commitments to educational excellence and social justice that define the college. The work of faculty, classified professionals and administrators has been marked by an uncommon attention to both individual students and the broader dynamics of inequality that frame Silicon Valley.”

Murphy will remain in office until spring commencement on June 29.

The process of finding a new president has not yet been announced.

I am retiring with a sense of gratitude for having had worked with such inspiring students, progressive faculty and staff, and superb administrative colleagues. Thank you all. ”

— President Brian Murphy

About the Writer
Christian Trujano, Editor-in-Chief

I have been with La Voz for a full year. Starting of as a reporter last Fall for two quarters, back to back, before taking on news editor in the spring, made me mature in ways I never thought possible. Many times I was placed in difficult decision making that could potentially affect other peoples lives. My morals and ethics as a journalist have grown with La Voz and now as I return this year as Editor-in-Chief, my goal is to help inform the community at De Anza in the most effective ways. I strive to improve La Voz, along with our growing population of readers.