The plus-minus grading system harms transfer admissions

Ruben Mendoza, Staff Writer

De Anza College should remove the current minus-plus grading system as it affects student’s future endeavors of transferring to four-year California universities.

The current grading system was implemented during the fall quarter of 2006 and is now used to provide accurate grading for students’ work. The system attempts to reduce grade inequalities and models policies used at other California four-year universities. Instructors can now give students plus-minus grades if they assume it is an accurate representation of students work.

For example, under the plus-minus system, a student who receives straight B’s would obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.0, a considerably uncompetitive GPA for top-tier schools.

Some students, however, are against toward the plus-minus grading system.

“I feel that the grading method is a distraction from actually learning,” said Madisson Edwards, 18, sociology major. “I worry how it will affect my GPA when I transfer.”

She said that the previous, letter grade method was preferable. One symbol could ruin a student’s cumulative GPA , increasing academic pressure.

Educators are sympathetic and understand how grading with a plus or minus can frustrate students and affect their cumulative GPA. That is why some instructors continue to use the base letter grade method when grading.

“I think it distracts students from actually learning and forces them to focus on their grade points instead of the material that they are learning in class. I don’t use it,” said Jeff Schinske, biology professor at De Anza College, said.

Categorizing a student by a mere difference in points is irrational, because students should not be rewarded or punished for obtaining a plus-minus grade. But there are some instructors and students who agree with the current grading system.

Professor Malatesta, journalism instructor, approves the college-wide grading method. She said that there are benefits to this approach as students overall grade can actually reflect a lower grade, and this curve can help boost a student’s score for that class. Students should not be discouraged by the grading rubric.

Some students also agree that the grade point system should not be changed.