Opinion: out with the old water bottles, in with the new

Donovan Rios, Staff Writer

De Anza College is doing its part to help save the environment by establishing new policies regarding water bottles.

The Dining Services on campus will no longer have plastic water bottles available for purchase. Instead, they will be offering reusable bottles.

Environmental conservation is an import concern at De Anza, particularly for the sustainability management plan.
Adopted in 2007, the sustainability management plan strives to make De Anza one of the first sustainable college campuses in California.

The plan is to identify any environmental risks the college poses, prioritize them in order of importance and deal with
them accordingly.

Reducing the amount of plastic water bottle usage has both environmental and financial benefits for those who put forth the effort.

In the United States alone, $11 billion is spent each year on plastic water bottles. By replacing these bottles with reusable ones, each individual would save approximately $550.

Throwing plastic water bottles into landfills also annually costs over $1 billion dollars in plastic.

The environmental impact of plastic water bottles is even greater than the economic impact. Switching to reusable bottles would greatly reduce the levels of carbon dioxide in the air as well as reducing the 38 billion bottles thrown away every year.

Lowering the number of plastic water bottles used would have a positive effect on fossil fuels, a commodity in high demand.
A family of four who switches to reusable water bottles would save 27 gallons of oil per year. An entire college campus has the potential to save over 100 times that amount.

The reduction in waste from the plastic water bottles will create a positive impact for the school.
In order to stay hydrated, students are advised to bring their own reusable containers, such as aluminum bottles.