Debate, deficits, decisionmaking:

Attending to the needs of students requires complex power structure

According to the De Anza Associated Student Body bylaws, Article I, section two, its purpose is to represent and promote the general welfare of all members of the DASB, to foster a spirit of democracy and unity in all student activities, promote the growth and development of De Anza College and college-community relations, and to provide students with the opportunity to gain experience in leadership roles.

They do this by following every guideline in the bylaws. Under section three of the bylaws they fulfill this purpose by representing the interests of the DASB on De Anza College Shared Governance Committees, allocate the DASB budget for the year and oversee the maintenance of all DASB budgetary reserves in the manner they see fit. They take official stances on issues that is considered to be of importance and take action for those stances, as well as hold events they deem in the best interest of the DASB. Since the DASB is a representation of De Anza students, anyone is welcomed to join.

The DASB is responsible for funding athletics, campus publicity services, clubs/Inter Club Council, creative art productions, DASB flea market, entertainment, guest speakers, legal aid, open media lab, seminars and student services.

Marlo Custudio is the current DASB president. Josh Chou is the executive vice president. Under them, there are the vice presidents who are the leaders of their committees. The Vice President of Budget and Finance is Sharon Su. Mo Shirazi is the vice president of Student Rights and Campus Relations. Jonathan Mai is the vice president of Administration. Vice president of Marketing and Communications is John Yan. Jorj Cheko is the vice president of Diversity of Events. Amir Reza Pourchafiee is the vice president of Student Services. Keith Hubbard is the vice president of Campus Environment and Sustainability.

Under the vice presidents, there are currently 24 senators. Then there are seven junior senators.

The DASB Web site has a link to allow student voices to be heard. Students can either go to the senate contact info link, or the comments and suggestions link to make suggestions. Students are also welcome to come by the student senate room located downstairs of the Hinson Center.

“Don’t be discouraged. As long as they try, they can be heard,” says Hubbard about senators. He says that he would “like to see that they are sincere about their commitment. And really try to push themselves when it comes to what they want from this, rather than thinking about their transcripts” in regards to aspiring senators.

The DASB Senate works with administration on big projects, but is also independent and able to make their own choices when it comes to what they fund. DASB Adviser John Cognetta says students should expect “representation, advocate for student concerns, and a fight for student rights” from the DASB.

Cognetta also states that students who are involved in school “succeed at a far greater rate than those who do not get involved.”

“I am very proud of the work that they do. I doubt if the general student body realizes what they do and how it affects the lives of our students,” Cognetta said.

Hubbard feels his job would be much more enjoyable if students were more involved.

“Students need to concentrate on the quality rather than the quantity of what they’re being offered here at De Anza,” said Hubbard.