Kazempour is ready for takeoff

From aviation to journalism to business, Kazempour is ready for new challenges as De Anza bookstore courseware coordinator

Originally planning on becoming an airplane pilot, Reza Kazempour changed his mind after Sept. 11, 2001, when the option began to seem less attractive. Working through several jobs on campus, he has recently become the courseware coordinator for the De Anza College bookstore.

Kazempour started his collegiate education at De Anza in 2002 as a journalism major and began to be involved with the student newspaper, La Voz Weekly.

“I really enjoyed being a staff writer and being a part of a team that was … providing students with such a crucial service,” says Kazempour.

After serving in several editorial positions, Kazempour’s business-minded approach and style led him to switch from journalism to business.

After completing an associate’s degree in Business Administration from De Anza, Kazempour succesfully completed a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration at San Jose State University.

Juggling both school and work, both degrees were earned while Kazempour held three part-time jobs; the first as the La Voz business manager, the second as the De Anza campus Apple Representative – liason between Apple and the De Anza bookstore, and the third as a night attendant at the Redwood Villa Retirement Residence.

Of his demonstrated hard work and dedication, Kazempour says, “Working three part-time jobs and doing full-time school really motivated me to get through college. I had the support of family and friends, especially instructors and administrators … pushing me to finish my education, and hopefully get a job here at De Anza.”

Kazempour became an icon among his friends, being given the nickname “Van Wilder,” in reference to the character in the film who had stayed at college long enough to know most of the people and because of the delivery cart he used to deliver newspapers.

In July 2009, Kazempour was temporarily employed as courseware coordinator, later becoming a permanent employee in early December.

“He makes the work place a fun place to be,” said Kai Reiter, a De Anza bookstore employee.

In his business courses, Kazempour formed close bonds with his instructor, Jack Lynch, who taught BUS 90: Principles of Marketing. Lynch says, “His team always did a great job in marketing class, they were an energetic group that was fun to deal with. From a busines standpoint, he’s very creative and very responsive … I consider him a colleague and a friend.”

As a previous Apple campus representative, Kazempour familiarized himself with the processes involved in running the store, learning helpful ways to deal with the stress and demands of the position.

Using his connections to manager and staff, he had an easy transition when he assumed the position of courseware coordinator full-time. In his new position, he manages the computer department and coordinates instructor requests for textbooks.

“I was a student employee at one time and really enjoyed the experience and woud like [to] share the same experience with current and future student employees,” he said.

Kazempour has chosen a position at De Anza rather than SJSU in part because of how well faculty and staff interact. He also enjoys the challenge. “It’s a huge responsibility because, obviously, every student needs books.”