DASB Budget Committee declares open season on student press

Proposal would cut La Voz printing budget by more than half

The DASB Senate Budget Committee declared its intentions tolimit the student press at De Anza last Thursday when they releasedtheir 2003-04 budget proposal. In it, the Budget Committee proposedover $30,000 in cuts from last year’s budget.

This would be an understandable move, except for the fact thatthe Budget Committee wants La Voz to cut its printing budget bymore than 50 percent, from $21,000 to $10,100, in essence,absorbing one-third of the DASB’s net budget cuts. The DASB isasking for La Voz to make a sacrifice almost unmatched by otherprograms on this campus. Such a move is a direct threat to the veryidea of a student press.

While some may dismiss our objections as sour grapes from anunnecessary program facing budget cuts, this cut would createserious logistical problems for La Voz where none existedbefore.

The Budget Committee’s proposal would not give La Voz enoughmoney to complete its full printing schedule. The proposed budget,should it pass, would force us to print eight-page issues everyweek and do without the rich color that enhances the readingexperience.

This proposal is an insult to the men and women who work so hardto produce La Voz each week. Outside of our classes and our jobs,we spend 20 to 40 hours each week in the newsroom, sometimes more,taking great care to create the best newspaper possible. It is ourgoal each week to give you a newspaper that lives up to our motto,”the voice of De Anza College.” We do not get paid, we do not getfree lunches, we do not get thousands of dollars in scholarships.We simply love what we do.

Our job at La Voz is to inform you, the reader, about what isgoing on at De Anza College. We are not perfect, but we think we doa pretty good job. If you think we provide a valuable service, weare looking for your support. The Budget Committee’s proposal woulddo irreparable damage to the student press on this campus, and wesimply will not stand for it. We urge you to express the voice ofDe Anza College and tell the DASB that this will not come topass.

Their next meeting is Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 3:30 p.m. in theStudent Council Chambers, located in the lower level of the HinsonCampus Center.