Misery and discomfort, thy name is Summer

Chris Padilla, Staff Writer

Summer sucks.

It’s hot, all that sunlight is terrible for your skin and it’s just plain boring.

This might not be a popular opinion, but that’s probably because many of you only remember the best parts from your childhood.

By and large, this is an illusion created by the fact that the school year ends in the summer and you are freed from the classroom prison for three months.

From the perspective of an adult, summer loses a lot of its charm.

The heat is oppressive, especially ever since global warming’s hot grip on our planet has tightened.

Even without keeping the recent heat waves in mind, California has had some notoriously hot weather.

Worse yet, there are fewer ways to deal with the heat than there are with the cold.

One can only strip down to so many layers, after all.

And even if the cops don’t find you and put you away for indecent exposure, what will you do when you’re buck-naked and still too damn hot?

Once you’re an adult you no longer have that magical three- month break.

Most jobs don’t exactly give employees a whole season off and most people can’t afford to go on vacation for that length of time.

It’s worse for the adult student who’s hell-bent on graduating quickly; their only option is summer school.

A month of Intermediate Algebra, four days a week for two and a half hours a day?

No thank you.

It’s not like much happens during the summer, either. The 4th of July is the only major summer holiday and the extreme heat saps everyone’s will to do anything.

Summer’s one saving grace is the start of convention season.

Throughout the summer, conventions big and small happen from our own FanimeCon to bigger events like Anime Expo and PAX Prime, all the way to industry giants like San Diego Comic-Con and E3.

Even then, the events, held in giant air-conditioned convention halls, seem more like an escape from summer than than a celebration of it.

Heck, one of the beloved staples of the anime/video convention scene, cosplay, is more difficult in the summer.

After all, who wants to put on a wig and many complicated layers of clothing, all the while lugging around a prop in 90-degree weather?

Summer sucks because everything that sounds fun ends up being a major drawback that ruins your plans.