H.E.F.A.S. given $18,000 to help growing numbers

Thomas Cyncor-McMillan, Freelance Writer

H.E.F.A.S, Higher Education For AB 540 Students, is an institutional and educational program that provides resources about undocumented/AB 540 information.

“The purpose of our program is to help undocumented, AB 540 and low income student pursue their degrees, ” said member Jesus Rivera. “We need more funding because we want to make this group bigger. The event is for the whole community, and we need the money to provide lunches and host guest speakers.”

With the approved additional funding from DASB for a total budget of $18,000, H.E.F.A.S plans to accommodate its growing number of students. It implements a book loan program, peer advisers, and free access to resources; which will could secure their educational success.

“AB 540 is a bill in California that allows  undocumented students to pay for in state tuition, instead of the more expensive out-of-state tuition,” said Outreach Coordinator Itzel Sanchez.

For in-state students the price for one class unit is $31, the out-of-state cost is $175.

AB 540 can be very useful to some students, but there are some exceptions: the student must have attended a California high school for 3 or more years and that the student must have graduated or hold a G.E.D from an in-state high school.

Initially, H.E.F.A.S had been focused on strictly helping students who are included under this bill, but have since broadened their focus to supporting all undocumented students.

“We offer different services that can help reduce stress. We have a book and calculator loaning program, computer use, free printing and a counselor for members,” said Sanchez. “Last quarter we were able to buy newer books for the loaning program along with graphing calculators.”

“Our goal is to raise awareness about what AB 540/undocumented is and what it means, no one should be afraid of discrimination,” said Sanchez.