New chancellor promotes inclusion

New chancellor promotes inclusion

Neda Serrami, News Editor

At the District Opening Day meeting on September 17, the new Foothill-De Anza district chancellor Judy Miner spoke about how she hopes to improve the FHDA campuses by providing resources for everyone to feel included and comfortable.

Judy Miner has been working in higher education since 1977 and in community colleges since 1979. She served as Foothill’s president for the past eight years, and worked at De Anza for 19 years prior.

Minerbeganbywelcomingfaculty and appreciating staff members who have worked in the FHDA district for 25 years or more. She then proceeded to start announcing her goals, after reviewing some of the great accomplishments of FHDA professors and students over summer.

To start off her speech, Miner reminded everyone that when she was appointed as chancellor, she pledged to close the achievement gap between students.

“We cannot be excellent without inclusiveness,” Miner said.

She explained the changes that needed to be made to create more equity among students.

Miner advocated broadening programs and said that De Anza and Foothill need to be able to come together to make sure there is something for everyone to be able to succeed by creating new programs, ensuring that everyone is comfortable and catered to.

“It’s about what we can offer,” she said.

Not only did Miner discuss an addition of monetary resources, but she also made a point to say how important it is that there is an emotionally encouraging environment for all.

“We need smiling faces around the district that will help recruit and retain a diverse student body, faculty, staff, and administration,” Miner said.

After reviewing budget cuts to the art and physical education programs, Miner reviewed the library construction on both campuses which will re-open in fall quarter. She also spoke about new programs that wil be offered at the new Foothill campus in Sunnyvale, and announced that Mission College will also offer classes that complement Foothill credits in collaboration with the Foothill-De Anza College district.

Miner said she hopes to be able to decrease reliance on state funding and be more creative with ways to bring more funding into the schools, and looks forward to being more creative with how funding is brought into the schools.

“We will allocate our resources to account for future needs, and current needs,” she said.