College council attempts to change De Anza College mission statement

Janellah Zamora, Staff Writer

A proposed revision of De Anza College’s mission statement would add a piece saying that the district will provide high-quality undergraduate education at an affordable price, as well as maintain its mission of advancing California through education, training and workforce improvement.

Members of the De Anza College Council came together on May 6 to discuss the revision of the district’s mission statement.

The revised mission statement will still focus on student success, but add focus on baccalaureate degrees.

The statement will also describe De Anza’s educational purposes, its intended student population, the types of credentials it offers, and its commitment to the student learning and achievement, said David Coleman, director of student success and
retention services.

At the end of the revision discussion, all members vouched for the revised mission statement to be taken to the FHDA chancellor.

Other matters of discussion were ways in which the council can get more staff and students to attend the commencement ceremony, which will take place June 27.

The ceremony has been moved to the City National Civic Center in San Jose from its previous location on De Anza’s football field under the summer sun.

The council hopes the new location will encourage a bigger attendance at the event.

Each student graduating will be given the opportunity to invite five guests to the ceremony.

The deadline for students to apply for certification is June 12 in order to have their names on the pamphlet.