Center to help students cope with LGBT, gender and women’s issues

Cati Mayer, Staff Writer

De Anza College will open a “sexualities, gender and women’s center” during the fall quarter of 2014. It will be located in the Multicultural Center.

The idea for the center came from students who felt there was no place for the LGBTQ community at De Anza. Currently, there is a group of six students working on opening the center.

A name for the center has not been established yet. The students working on the program are still looking for a part-time faculty member to work in the center for about 10 hours a week.

The center will help students handle such issues as sexual violence, gender and sexuality questioning and is funded by the DASB.

Cynthia Kaufman, director of the Institute of Community and Civic Engagement said the center is intended to help students deal with issues they experience due to their sexual orientation or gender. These issues include sexual assault, insecurity and bullying.

“A lot of other schools have a place like this,” Kaufman said.

She said she believes the center will have a positive effect on the De Anza community, with psychological benefits for individuals who seek help.

Students will be able to talk to a faculty member at the center and meet other students who have gone through similar situations or have had similar experiences.

“There is a strong sense of community that is just not out yet,” Kaufman said. “The project could develop into a big thing.”

Kaufman said she has received a couple of applications for the position of center director, but she encourages more instructors who have the skill to approach delicate subjects in a proper and understanding way to apply for this position.

“We should be there for our students,” Kaufman said. “It will make them happier.”