New LGBTQQAI group works to raise awareness at Da Anza

Randi Vanible, Staff Writer

De Anza College faculty and staff have partnered to increase LGBT awareness and support at De Anza College through workshops and meetings.

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning and Intersex Advisory Equity Action Council is new to campus and incorporates the student voice, staff, faculty, professionals and direct advocacy.

The council meets every second and fourth Wednesday from 3-5 p.m. in the Multicultural Center to discuss the lack of awareness, support around campus, and safe bathrooms.

Members also discuss the idea of bathroom inclusivity, gender neutrality, hot topics in the news, subjects generated by students, resources needed to assist students and how to build a stronger community.

The council educates faculty and staff on positive how to support students.

“We want the whole campus to be a safe zone,” said Veronica Neal, faculty director of the Office of Equity, Social Justice and Multicultural Education. “It is a real commitment and we are conscious to build a community.”

The council is focusing on creating a gender/sexuality research brochure and a community building event, and eventually, members would like to create more safe zone training and a certified committee.

“I will never be satisfied,” Neal said. “I want to go from good to great and respond to the students as they voice their concerns.”

Safe zone workshops have already started at De Anza.

“The workshops provide a safe environment for the LGBTQQAI community as they increase knowledge and awareness of issues in the community to provide culturally competent services,” said Florence Wang, a psychology intern, student therapist, and co-facillitator for the council.

The workshops were hosted as a three-part series during winter quarter, the last one will be held on March 14.

Before the workshops begin, students learn the rules of ethics to protect each student followed by activities involving vocabulary, myths and stereotypes.

Co-facilitators guide discussion.

“We have a lot of work to do in terms of making a safe environment because students feel unsafe because of bullying,” Wang said. “I feel like this a step in the right direction, but there can always be more.”